Default Feeling rather well . . . is it the grass . . . or

. . . or is it the antibiotics that have put a spring in his step?

The GreyDonk went onto antibiotics and bute on Thursday of this week and he's been a different horse ever since . . . his feet touched the grass on the gallops yesterday and he grew about a hand . . . he jogged, cantered on the spot, piaffed, went sideways and generally felt like an unexploded bomb (he was, however, an angel in the school). He currently only gets a handful each of Alfa A and Blue Chip as carrier for his anti bios, but once he's fiinished with the course, I'll be cutting his hard feed back to NOTHING.

I had put his exuberance down to the spring grass, but I do wonder, though, whether it's either the bute or the antibios . . . he is definitely feeling more "well" than he has in a while . . . his exuberance is not only evident in the field, out on a hack and in the school but also just generally when being tied on the yard and being handled.

Is it possible that the antibios have cleared up a long-standing problem that I just hadn't noticed? Or that the bute is masking some pain somewhere we hadn't picked up? I will say, though, that he was grinding his teeth today when I worked him and I haven't heard him do that for a good three/four months . . .

Am a bit baffled.

P

Default Re: Feeling rather well . . . is it the grass . . . or

There is definitely something going on at the moment not quite sure what it is though. My mare is feeling abit full of herself at the moment, normally she is 100% to ride but got me off the other day for the first time in the year i have had her, my yard bestie also got dumped that day aswell.. knew i shouldn't have rode haha
    Nothing could ever replace you or come between us you are the horse of my dreams <3

Some have got a good flush on the grass - enough to produce those signs.
    I'd also keep an eye on him & see how he is over at least 7 (poss up to 14) days after coming off the bute, as you say - you never know what it could be comforting.
    If mine, I'd keep exactly the same feed, routine & turnout etc for at least a week after stopping drugs, before cutting out feed too.

Hope its just spring grass
    Growing old disgracefully........

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzzy Furry View Post
    Some have got a good flush on the grass - enough to produce those signs.
    I'd also keep an eye on him & see how he is over at least 7 (poss up to 14) days after coming off the bute, as you say - you never know what it could be comforting.
    If mine, I'd keep exactly the same feed, routine & turnout etc for at least a week after stopping drugs, before cutting out feed too.

Hope its just spring grass
    Thing is our grazing is pretty ***** . . . but I guess sugar is sugar and I'm guessing what grass there is producing plenty of sugar with all the intermittent rain and sunshine we've had for the past month or so.

I guess it's the bute that's really troubling me . . . as you say, I'll keep an eye once he comes off it . . . but that does send a black balloon up b/c if he's feeling this well ON bute then what is the bute masking?

I'm a worrier, what can I say?

Thanks .

P

Old nag

I would say the grass, we have not got amazing grazing, but he gallops over every time he sees me ATM, he is not hungry, so is being a bit irrational, I think he is on a sugar rush

I would totally agree that it is the grass, HOWEVER, mine is on box rest so blaming it on that
    Late to horse riding but making up for lost time!

Quote Originally Posted by mulledwhine View Post
    I would say the grass, we have not got amazing grazing, but he gallops over every time he sees me ATM, he is not hungry, so is being a bit irrational, I think he is on a sugar rush
    THIS! Kal is like a little kid on e-numbers . . . it's like he's jumping out of his skin!

I get that he has a thoroughbred brain, but he's positively itchy!

P

I'd go for the grass option for time being.
    Tiny Fuzzy has been seen motorbiking round the paddock today on a few occasions - like a outraged mosquito on steroids. Big Fuzzy watching in amazement (but thankfully not joining in!)
    TF also did same tonight in tiny bedtime paddock, amazing to watch - just needed to let of steam - but made me crack up watching her motor in one door of the shelter & immediately hurtle out the other door!

(I have checked her over, she is fine, no problems except too much Dr Green methinks)
    Growing old disgracefully........