Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitting

Old nag

Default Bitting

Thought I ought to bit Piper this year. He did wear one a few times last spring but haven't bothered since. He's such a dope to handle he doesn't need it but I thought I ought to do it, now he is 2.
    I have got a straight bar thin vulcanite snaffle. I put it on today, dipped in sugar, and he was fine but it kept turning over in his mouth when he chewed it, so it was upside down and the cheekpieces were twisted. Why is that? Is it because the bit rings are so small? Would it be better to use a thin french link or something?
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Veteran

Default Re: Bitting

I had one that did that the first couple of times. It only happened in the early days when he was excessively mouthing.

Old nag

Oh thank you, I will stick with it for a bit then, it didn't seem to bother him I suppose being so straight it feels much the same either way up.
    Thank you.

Veteran

Lol, I had the same idea today as you. I'm planning on taking her to a show on sunday so thought I best shove the bit in and trot up the lane.
    I'm obviously not as nice as you as I didn't use sugar.

Old nag

Ar but Piper is 17hh now so if he sticks his head up I am done for! Anything to keep him happy. (Or sweet!!)

My goodness Piper has grown! Bless what a giant you have.

Piper was born a few months before mine I think. The last time I saw mine was early March and he was probably not even 15 hands. He has never even had a rug on so I really am going to have a challenge next year when I bring him home.

Would love to see pics of Piper

Old nag

I must take a pic of him, he hasn't seen the camera this year. He has good conformation but is very gawky and babyish looking. Worryingly he is bum high, too! His canter is awesome though, if I can get him to do that with me on board I will be happy.
    Mellissa, remind me of yours breeding? Piper had 16hh parents but my mares parents were big, I think he is a throwback!

Hi Clodagh,

It least its not just mine that is gawky! Mine was by Super Trooper de Ness out of a Pachat II mare x

willow did that to begin with when i bitted her for the first time. i think it was because it was sitting a bit low and she was able to flip it over.

at first i thought i had been a total numpty and put the cheek pieces on wrong... then saw her do it again!

she actually seemed happier in a little sweet iron french link, but i put her back in the vulcanite bradoon for showing.

Old nag

I've got a skinny 'jp' french link I might try...sweet iron is an idea though. Off to Ingatestone - yippee! An excuse!