Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Which bit and Why?

Got Mr Batman with a Hackamore, goes nicely in it, sets against a bit. Started him in a jointed KK which he objected to, I suspect it poked him. Changed to a french link baucher which worked for a while but he got a bit stale so I went to a loose ring french link snaffle which he plays with nicely, doens't object to and is dressage legal so most boxes ticked. I do all flatwork in it.

He is hacked, SJd and XCd in his hackamore as he is happy and goes well and I have brakes
    Late to horse riding but making up for lost time!

Jack's been through quite a few bits on his time

We began with a cheltenham gag, because that's what he had before us. This was just what he was used to, but we were only bringing him back in to work so..

We tried a fulmer because steering was also an issue. I can't remember what mouthpiece it was, but it was thin and metal and for that reason, I think he disliked it. Also, we had no breaks! Even when I had very little rein contact, he was gobby and sensitive despite teeth not being an issue, and after probably having loose reins with the cheltenham gag he wasn't good with having a contact... He would prefer to curl up without taking any pressure on his mouth and not stop!

Next up was a happy mouth single jointed dutch gag which is a favourite of his... Used for hacking and schooling depending on his mood!! It was used with two reins because I wanted to try and wean him off it, it works to an extent but he can tell the difference between bits so he knows what he can and can't get away with and when to try it on.. I'm getting a bit lax and riding with one rein at the moment though.

Next up We have a single jointed eggbutt, purely because it was the simplest one we could find and I needed it in a hurry for a dressage test. It had a chunkier mouthpiece so he was a bit happier, plus we had worked out what stop meant so he was a bit better. It was meh, he was still being funny with his mouth. Oh, and the judge said the test was rushed and we need to work on downwards transitions

Finally? a hanging cheek french link, because the cheekpieces hold it steady to stop him from fussing and the french link because some soul told me that unlike the jointed mouthpieces it wouldn't fold and jab him in the mouth (possibly what he was objecting to?) Haven't had much of a go with it because of horsey dear's injury but he leant on it more probably due to not getting jabbed in the mouth when he tried, and had trouble stopping.... We now alternate between lots of different bits!

The end.

Anti-Rollkur-ers please feel free to use this signature, PM me for the bigger picture.

Old nag

A straight bar Nathe for everything. They are so soft and mild that I find my horse really relaxes his jaw and is so much happier. Less is definitely more for me with bits!
    I never liked straight bars as I wad always taught that they encourage horses to lean, but tried this on the advice of a trainer and I couldnt believe the difference. So light - works a dream for me

My new mare is temporarily in an eggbutt snaffle (with french link), but we have a happy mouth loose ring on order as that is what she's used to being ridden in - she really doesn't like the taste/feel of the metal of standard bits. She will apparently need more brakes for competitions but haven't got that far yet!
    My gelding has tried almost every bit under the sun but is now in a waterford snaffle, and is so, so much happier in it - its deisgned so that the horse can't grab hold of the bit as it just collapses in the mouth, if that makes sense - so he can no longer grab hold of the bit, pull like a train & hang off my arms! Which makes riding him a lot more pleasant! He's also learning to carry himself better now he's not so on the forehand, and our schooling is finally starting to improve.