Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pony broodmares

Veteran

Default Re: Pony broodmares

Yes I appreciate the comments. Hence I want her to go more as a companion but obviously she could be a Broodmare too. She's fractured her knee and vet said she could be a Broodmare and actually advised saying she's a nice type. But ideally taking on board your comments she would be better as a companion.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by wits end View Post
    We have one pony broodmare, a 13.2 Haflinger, who competes to 110cm. So I guess someone might want her to breed sports ponies if she has great conformation, attitude and record.

However, realistically, as an unproved mother, with unknown breeding, unless she's something very special her chances are low.
    so to hijack but wits end, what kind of stallion do you use for this pony as I have a Haffie with the same kind of scope

Veteran

Just so you can see some pics (from today).

Also a video link of her. (Watch HD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGWRi_xns_E

I have ponies, and all my mares have proven their ability to a good level, even if they don't have full pedigree.

I would aim her more towards a companion home, or PTS if you can't gaurentee her future.

Sadly I would Echo Crazymare and Sportz....(sorry, my memory is horrific!) and say that if you cannot guarantee a stable future as a companion I would either keep her (if you can afford to) or pts. The market for ponies is dire at the moment. I have just managed to sell my yearling filly to the stud wh owns her sire to go into their show team. The amount I got is pitiful, but atleast she is going to a good home and I dont have to feed her anymore. Her dam is very very correct, her sire is a prior HOYS cuddy champ, and yet I know a dealer who is picking up similar/related bloodlines for 80.....
    Seren certainly wont be going back into foal anytime soon, even though her foals are quality. We wont be coming out of this recession any time soon unfortunately :-(

Just backed

Quote Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
    so to hijack but wits end, what kind of stallion do you use for this pony as I have a Haffie with the same kind of scope
    Before she came to us she bred 2 pure Hafflingers, which to be honest whilst nice ponies needed some hotter blood to maximize talent from the dam side. 2010 we used Voyager (Vivaldi x Nirvana by Night-Power, German Riding Pony) to get a very at, very scopey colt, who will be very special. This year we have her to Ridley, a 15hh dressage bred Hanoverian.

Veteran

Funnily enough I have now found out my ponies breeding. Still waiting for more information on her dad. But her grandsire is the legendary Appaloosa Amazing blue. Is there anyway that her passport can be updated?

Yearling

You'd have to ask whoever issued her passport - if they are a breed society - or if an ID only passport from another PIO, then maybe approach the breed scoiety of one of her parents and see if they have any option for doing some sort of authorised pedigree that would cross reference with her passport. I doubt it'll be easy - and may involve DNA testing in order to prove parentage - but ask them :-)