Default Help - Non-neoprene boots

Hi,

Last winter my horse suffered terribly with mud fever, literrally spent all winter in his box and as a 5 year old that was hard work.

This winter i have been careful as to when he goes out, and havent had it return.

He has just had back shoes and is brushing his back legs so today i put on a pair of tri zone all sport boots whilst he was schooled for 45 mins only to find some hair loss and a bit of oozing like mud fever.

So i am now wondering is he has an allergy to neoprene boots. I obviously dont want to use fleece lined ones as i am worried about his legs over heating. I can of course bandage but i want more protection when we are jumping.

Can anyone please recommend me anything?

Thanks

Default Re: Help - Non-neoprene boots

Ecogold. I know I bang on about them all the time but they are fantastic design, no neoprene, no sweating. I can't fault them, by far the best boots i've found. Only U.K. stockist is HorsesInSport.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Sport horse

New Equine Wear's brushing boots are all neoprene free... The "Lite" are made of orthopedic foam, and the "Airoflow" are the same but with a free flow lining to keep legs cool.

Wish there were all these new fangled boot materials when I evented my old mare with a neoprene allergy, the poor horse had to wear Clarendons, whiich whilst protected her legs also insulated them a little too well for my liking! Having said that the heat issue never seemed to cuase her any harm, and it was a back injury that put paid to her eventing career!

Another vote for Ecogold, they really are lovely boots!

Veteran

Hey Kelly, you are welcome to try my NEW ones with the orthopaedic foam that I mentioned last night. They're in my 3rd drawer, the ones with the blue straps. They might not be clean (I wash them every 3 or 4 uses) but you are welcome to try whenever you want to - just help yourself. They are quite small though as they were Ronnie's and he had tiny legs, but they should fit width-wise as they have long straps.