Default Regumate / Marbles / Ovary Removal

Has anyone put their stroppy mares on Regumate long term or marbles?? If so what has your experience been. Also, has anyone had their mares ovaries removed to abolish stroppy hormonal behaviour? I'm trying to weight up the options.

Veteran

Default Re: Regumate / Marbles / Ovary Removal

You would be better to post this in vet

my mare has had Regumate long term (3 years i believe) and marble, neither has been effective, also tried herbs and calmers and the best that works is to just turn her out in the field and bring her in a week later.

if id had her from a youngster and known i didnt want to breed from her i would have had her in for the op. however she is 16 and i dont think she should go through it now at all.

i dont think you can go from someone elses experience tho as all mares are so differant. please seek professional advice.

Old nag

Assuming you have determined that her stroppy behaviour IS associated with her coming into (or going out of) oestrus - ie does she behave for roughly 2 weeks out of 3-4? - the initially I would put her on Regumate for 3 months! If that works, you can either keep her on Regumate full time (perhaps stopping November to February is she goes into anoestrus through the winter - not all mares do) - or you could try the marble.

If she's stroppy ALL the time then obviously she needs to have her ovaries scanned - to rule out a theca cell tumour - and some blood asays done (to determine if her hormone levels ARE abnrmal.)
    Who cares about the treatment of horses and ponies at sub-standard markets - and works to improve conditions? Who manages a well-run sanctuary caring for some of those who fall through the net? Who spends EVERY penny you donate on caring for needy horses and ponies? Equine Market Watch, that's who!

http://www.justgiving.com/EMWAppeal2014 - every little bit helps!!