Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Dodgy position :(

If you often jump less experienced horses, sometimes even just a few lessons on a real school master can make a huge difference. I've had quite a few kids & teens on my pony, who like you are more used to riding less well behaved ponies & have similar problems. The improvement after just a few sessions riding one that's straight forward & can be relied on to do the work for you, whilst you concentrate solely on your position really is amazing.
    Dafthoss- the more I hear about your pony the more he reminds me of mine when she was younger!

Veteran

Little legs - its so nice to have hope that one day he will turn in to a nice pony

PonyIamnotfood - I'm just trying to find you a good video example for you to look at. 90cm on a horse shouldnt mean you have to fold that much on a pony however it totally depends on their ability and jumping style.

protector of the pony who believes the world is out to get him
    Member of 'Nothing like a knobber' clique

Dafthoss he's a nice pony now, you know he is really. I can lend you the phrase my daughter uses to defend her pony if its misbehaving- 'she isn't being naughty, she just forgot to be good'

Quote Originally Posted by littlelegs View Post
    I can lend you the phrase my daughter uses to defend her pony if its misbehaving- 'she isn't being naughty, she just forgot to be good'
    I just ove this, and I think it would apply very well to my naughty boy

Veteran

Ha I like that I normally go for stop being a knobber! What is your problem creature?!?

I know he is nice really I just cant imagine him looking after any one over jumps but he might have a little disabled boy coming to see him so I'm intrigued to see how he reacts around him.

protector of the pony who believes the world is out to get him
    Member of 'Nothing like a knobber' clique

What worked for me (and totally got me out of my horribly defensive jumping position) was "The grotty public loo analogy" on of my instructors told me this and it is absolutely perfect, and because of the eww factor it sticks in your mind too! And you can practice it!

Don't think about folding forwards, or standing up, or reaching for their ears as there is a significant risk that you end up pivoting from the knee and tipping making yourself insecure. Think about being desparate for a wee and having to go in a really nasty public loo. So you don't want to sit on the seat, but you need to hover over the pan. That is the position you need to adopt.

Try it at home in the loo and feel where you need to be. Then next time you are riding hoik your stirrups up (you may be struggling because you aren't shortening your stirrups enough, I was taught up two for jumping, but actually I need to go up about 5) and try the "grotty public loo position", keep that vision in your head and keep practising.

I find an handful of mane half way up the neck is better than a neckstrap too

Veteran

Re my remark on headcollars, if your owners would allow it, just fasten two lead ropes, one either side of the headcollar, and knot the ends together. It'll give you rudimentary reins.

Dafthoss- a rising 5 miniature x (we think) new forest. She isn't really that naughty in fairness, just more the sort of pony you need to half halt & keep occupied with transitions than a typical kids ploddy kick along type. As keen as daughter to spot an opportunity to canter too. It stems more from the fact pony loves playing with stuff, & tips wheelbarrows, throws grooming kit, pinches your drink etc. She's also the kind of pony that will do anything if she thinks its her idea, but hates being bossed. Other little girl on the yard is quite shouty & bossy so pony & her don't get on, & she's always telling my daughter that she's a naughty pony. Daughter & pony adore each other & she won't let anyone else speak bad of her. (like when she tried to kick the farrier as a youngster she was apparently just stretching her leg when he was nearby)