Thread: Position woes

Schoolmaster

Default Position woes

I don't post in here really, but as this issue has come to light on my uni team score sheets when i've been competing, I think i'm alright putting it here.

My jumping position is god awful and the more I try the worse it gets I stand up, don't fold, barely give with my hand and can be found taking the poor horses back teeth out sometimes. If I really try I can make sure I give with my hand but then the rest goes to pot. If the horse is on an off stride, I just don't seem to have the reaction to fold or give or anything, I just sit there like a tool. Why can everyone else seem to realise the horse is lifting in front and automatically fold and give?

Tips would be oh so greatly appreciated, on ways to improve my position as well as how to make it more of a muscle response on my part rather than having to think about it all the time.

Default Re: Position woes

Gridwork with someone instructing will be most helpful, the distances should be correct so all you have to think about is keeping the horse straight and your position. Once you can feel how and when to fold, when the horse is jumping on a good stride it will get easier when it is not quite so good.

If you are doing uni comps you will be riding different types of horses, this, if your position is not established, will make you look and feel worse than it probably is. Dont try too hard, get a really good canter and try to maintain a rhythm around the entire course, if you do this the horse should then jump out of its stride making it easier for you to go with it.

hmm, speaking as someone who gets criticised for 'over folding' i don't think that just standing up in your stirrups is such a bad thing actually... as long as you can give with your hands.
    hack out with jumping length stirrups. practice 2-point seat (jumping position) for as long as you can, holding onto mane or neckstrap if necessary. it's easiest in canter, a bit tougher in trot and a killer in walk! make sure your lower leg is underneath you and not swinging back, this is really important.
    then as you're going along, pretend you're coming to a jump and go into jumping position for a stride or so. keep doing this till it's easier. sometimes i make a quick twist/plait with a hairband and a twist of mane about 8" behind the horse's ears, and ask the rider to try to touch that with hands in midair... they rarely get there BUT it does at least start crest release and avoid socking the horse in the chops... which is vital to avoid. nothing puts horses off more imho.
    hope that helps a little.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

I have the exact same problem, especially in uni riding comps so will be watching this thread closely! Riding different horses every time definatly does not help as you never have any idea what's going to happen with striding etc. Never got to jump properly in lessons either with such a big group of us, or do any proper grid work. My jumping position has actually got worse in the last year i think!

I must do some grid work and short stirrup work with share horse. In fact i really must actually start jumping her seeing as she's an ex-showjumper and will probably teach me loads! Slightly worried of being jumped out the saddle though

kerilli - is standing up in stirrups really not as bad? I would love to be able to over fold on jumps at the moment, at least i wouldn't look like such a total numpty in pictures!

Schoolmaster

Thanks for the advice

Be positive, im deffo going to try some grid work, one of my friends suggested that too. I think I am also guilty of trying too hard, but it's hard not to try too hard to not try too hard...if you see what I mean lol.

Kerrilli, I can't hack as I don't have a horse but I can hopefully try this on a school horse in the same session as the grid work, the twist in the mane is a good suggestion, I reckon a visual aid to make me reach forwards will make a difference.

Holzrokz, it's hard isn't it You're lucky you have a show jumper on your hands, I would love to have consistent access to a horse that really knows what it's doing. I find in lessons that although we jump, the feedback tends to consist of 'you need to fold/give/don't gob the horse' but nothing on the 'how' side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyIAmNotFood View Post
    Thanks for the advice

Be positive, im deffo going to try some grid work, one of my friends suggested that too. I think I am also guilty of trying too hard, but it's hard not to try too hard to not try too hard...if you see what I mean lol.

Kerrilli, I can't hack as I don't have a horse but I can hopefully try this on a school horse in the same session as the grid work, the twist in the mane is a good suggestion, I reckon a visual aid to make me reach forwards will make a difference.

Holzrokz, it's hard isn't it You're lucky you have a show jumper on your hands, I would love to have consistent access to a horse that really knows what it's doing. I find in lessons that although we jump, the feedback tends to consist of 'you need to fold/give/don't gob the horse' but nothing on the 'how' side of things.
    okay, you can practise on 2 feet though, maybe with eyes closed so you can really concentrate on the feeling of doing the right thing with your body.

Holzrokz, it depends how upright you stay i guess! try to think of sliding your bum back and your hands forward up the neck, this should automatically make you fold at the waist and/or hips. Make sure your stirrups are short enough, at least 2 holes shorter than flatwork length (probably more) as this makes a big difference.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by PonyIAmNotFood View Post
    Why can everyone else seem to realise the horse is lifting in front and automatically fold and give?
    A large proportion cant. Seriously, just watch a day of Unaff SJ and see how many riders would fall off if they weren't using their horses mouth for balance One of the major issues tha cause this is the rider trying to see where the horse will take off rather than learning to feel when they are taking off. In a safe environment, jumping with your eyes closed for the last 4 or 5 strides on approach wil help far more than you would believe. When you take eyes out of the equation you discover all the other clues the horse gives when its about to take off.

Best grid work for improving position is a long bounce grid (6 fences).
    Is now a Dressage Diva.
    Don't worry, it's only temporary.
    The tablets should work within a couple of months.

Schoolmaster

In the thinking of doing it on 2 feet, squats would help I suppose then as well? Oh but how I hate exercise haha.

I used to jump with my eyes closed when I first learnt, had forgotten that one. Makes sense to get the feel as I definately look for the stride and jump rather than feeling it.

agree with whats above - practising the position will help you build the right muscles and you will find the position easier to "find" when coming over a jump. practising over poles is a great way to build your balance as well

also, stand your horse still with a friend by its head. shut your eyes and really imagine your coming into a jump and get your friend to gently pull the reins forward as you move into your jumping position to mimic the way the horse takes your hand forward. this will highlight any difficulty you have, for example, if you rest your hands on the horses wither for balance when your friend pulls the reins forwards you wont let your hands go as well. its also good practise so you can get the feel of the horse taking the rein without pulling him in the mouth if you get it wrong

i always got told to fold from the hips not from the waist and for some reason that really stuck with me! so thats what i always try and think of

good luckkkkkk