Sport horse

Default Sheepskin for 5 Point Breastplate

I bought a 5 point eventing breastplate from Your Horse Live a couple of years ago but haven’t had much use for it so far. It’s been on a big 5 year old just because it was the only breastplate that would fit him!

The problem is, it was a bargain at the show as it is English leather but the “furry bits” are like acrylic wool (not sheepskin). As you can imagine, these have gone pretty tatty now and I’m looking to get them replaced with sheepskin as I’m starting to event this year and would like it to look at least a little bit more attractive!

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck having new sheepskin put on this type of breast plate or if anyone has had a go doing it themselves?

Ideally I’d like to be able to have it done professionally but so that it was easy to interchange – I’ve seen some 5 points with Velcro on the points so that you can take the sheepskin off and wash it or replace it.

Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated!
    "The most memorable moments are those you spend flat out galloping over the fields on your favourite steed"

Default Re: Sheepskin for 5 Point Breastplate

Any saddler should do it for you Im at saddlery college and my friend has just made a 5 point breastplate with velcro sheepskin and Im about to replace the sheepskin on mine. Its not a hard task and shouldnt be too expensive!

Sport horse

Default Re: Sheepskin for 5 Point Breastplate

Sounds like I should send it over to you Oliviaandsparrow lol I asked for a quote from a saddler round here and they said it was a difficult job and would be around £45 to do - only paid £50 for the breastplate as it was show price!