Schoolmaster

Default Odd hind leg swelling

About a month ago, my mare suffered some sort of problem with her hind leg- it swelled up and was stiff and sore and hot but not lame- we box rested for a few days with cold horsing and bandaging and it got much better after about 3 days.

Recently, shes been suffering with intermittent swelling on the outside of her same hind leg- above the fetlock. The swelling is very minor- just enough so the leg looks slightly smoother but is warm and NOT lame or sore.

She seems to get better after turnout and generally it is worse after a night in, but sometimes stabling doesn't affect it at all.

(If it helps, prior to this she suffered some sort of skin infection on said leg, resulting in hair loss, which we hibiscrubbed etc- it is now better but still has some hair loss)

Should I maybe bandage legs at night?

She has been out in the field for two days and the swelling and heat has gone as it has done with this treatment previously.

Sorry for such a long post, but I could really do with some ideas, as we'd rather not get vet out when theres no pain and it would be difficult to show the vet as the swelling is so unpredictable.
    Maybe some time off work in the field?

Thankyou all
    x
    Founder Member Of "Love my Ginger Horsey" Clique

http://www.mybannermaker.com

Default Re: Odd hind leg swelling

You need the vet. It sounds like cellulitis.

Schoolmaster

Ok thankyou, we thought it could be, but then would all heat and swelling go after turnout if it was?
    Founder Member Of "Love my Ginger Horsey" Clique

http://www.mybannermaker.com

Schoolmaster

This happened to my boy over christmas - started off with a intermittent swelling around his fetlock, but kept coming and going.

Turned out to be an abscess on the inside of his hock (where he had scar tissue from an injury 3 years ago!), which only came to light (as in it burst with puss everywhere) the day after I took him down the beach for a paddle as I thought salt water would probably help whatever it was! Had no idea it was anything to do with further up his leg!

Probably not the ideal treatment for every horse, but it worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by amymay View Post
    You need the vet. It sounds like cellulitis.
    This. Or possibly low grade lymphangitis.

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.