Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Foal

Exclamation Stockholm Tar to "plug" foot abscess

My mare has developed a foot abscess, and I have never had a horse, or had to deal with a horse with one before so am looking for some advice and tips.

I have called the vet and he dug into the hoof to drain it and now i am poulticing it 3 times a day with a warm animalinex poultice to draw out the infection along with a prescribed course of anti biotics and some bute. Its only been 2 days but she doesn't seam to be showing much improvement, and there is quite a lot of blood mixed in the the puss (sorry to be so graphic) but i was wondering if this was normal?

When the poultice looks clear for 2 days and shes looking less lame, I've been advised to "plug" the hole, with Stockholm tar and cotton wool. What exactly does this mean, do i put the cotton wool in first and use the tar to seal it? or mix the tar and the cotton wool and paste it in the hole? or should i just use the tar by itself. I am guessing i use the tar to seal the drainage whole to prevent further infection while the hoof underneath grows back and repairs?

If she looks totally sound, can she be turned out again, if the hole is sealed with the tar, or will she need a bandage or boot on top too?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or tips
    Emma-Louise (:

Sport horse

Default Re: Stockholm Tar to "plug" foot abscess

Hi, from reading your post my best advice would be to call the vet back who attended and ask them. That's what you paid them for:-)

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaLouise1206 View Post
    My mare has developed a foot abscess, and I have never had a horse, or had to deal with a horse with one before so am looking for some advice and tips.

I have called the vet and he dug into the hoof to drain it and now i am poulticing it 3 times a day with a warm animalinex poultice to draw out the infection along with a prescribed course of anti biotics and some bute. Its only been 2 days but she doesn't seam to be showing much improvement, and there is quite a lot of blood mixed in the the puss (sorry to be so graphic) but i was wondering if this was normal?

When the poultice looks clear for 2 days and shes looking less lame, I've been advised to "plug" the hole, with Stockholm tar and cotton wool. What exactly does this mean, do i put the cotton wool in first and use the tar to seal it? or mix the tar and the cotton wool and paste it in the hole? or should i just use the tar by itself. I am guessing i use the tar to seal the drainage whole to prevent further infection while the hoof underneath grows back and repairs?

If she looks totally sound, can she be turned out again, if the hole is sealed with the tar, or will she need a bandage or boot on top too?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or tips
    Emma-Louise (:
    Who has advised you to plug the hole?
    I would keep poulticing for another two weeks or it stops leaking pus.
    If you plug it it will not be able to drain.
    Most abscesses are not treated with antibiotics, but your vet may have his own ideas.
    You need to poultice at least once every 24 hours.
    Most vets advise tubbing [you may need assistance if a novice] with Epsom Salts [the stuff in Animalintex] or salt solution.
    I used to use a dandy brush dipped in salt water to clean the area before applying a new dressing. It is essential to inspect the area. It is also essential to examine the poultice after use. You want the exudate to lessen day on day.
    I would phone your vet for advise tomorrow, he has not clearly explained your role in the treatment.
    There is normally no reason to use Bute, as if the pressure has been released the horse will not be in pain.
    I would say it is not normal for blood to still be running out, it should only be pus, but I think you should phone the vet with your concerns.
    Last edited by Miss L Toe; 17-04-12 at 09:51 PM.

Foal

My vet advised me too, but AFTER the poultice is clear for a good 2 days (6 changes of poultice), I'm just thinking ahead so i know what to expect, a few weeks down the line. I am changing the poultice, morning, lunch time and in the evening, and each time cleaning the entire area thoroughly before positioning the next poultice. To be honest its definitely the period of time after the poulticing but before the hole has closed up that's concerning me the most.

She is on antibiotics, as her leg has swollen and the vet thinks this may be due to an infection traveling up her leg from the abscess. The vet also put her on bute, as although stuff is draining from her foot, there is still a lot of puss (and a bit blood) on the poultice so there is still pressure there, and she is still obviously in pain as she will not put any weight on her effected leg- at least this is what i thought.

I'll ring my vet again tomorrow, I spoke to him today and he reassured me that i was doing everything right, and I needn't be to concerned at the moment.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaLouise1206 View Post
    My vet advised me too, but AFTER the poultice is clear for a good 2 days (6 changes of poultice), I'm just thinking ahead so i know what to expect, a few weeks down the line. I am changing the poultice, morning, lunch time and in the evening, and each time cleaning the entire area thoroughly before positioning the next poultice. To be honest its definitely the period of time after the poulticing but before the hole has closed up that's concerning me the most.

Thanks again.
    When it is clear for two days (no puss or blood) then plug. Cotton wool with stockholm tar. Should be okay for turn out... mine was.

Although i got my farrier to plug personally and he doesnt use stockholm tar, used keratex putty!

Foal

would you put the cotton wool inside the hole, with the tar on top ? or the tar in first or mix it up together? Will it need changing, or will it just grow out as the hoof repairs itself? and does the tar need time to set, as i hear its a very sticky hoof oil type substance when you 1st put it on?

Quote Originally Posted by charliecrisps View Post
    When it is clear for two days (no puss or blood) then plug. Cotton wool with stockholm tar. Should be okay for turn out... mine was.

Although i got my farrier to plug personally and he doesnt use stockholm tar, used keratex putty!

Usually once the foot is opened to release the abscess the horse is more comfortable and should become sound fairly quickly. Soaking in a tub of hot salt water each time you change the dressing will help speed up draining.

I usually turn out in a dry dressing for a few days once it has stopped draining as the movement will encourage any left behind to come out rather than plugging it. Wrapping in duct tape will keep it dry and clean while they are out and the foot will grow back fairly soon to fill the hole or get your farrier to put a pad on if it is very deep.

Foal

Its only been 2 days, but my horse doesn't seam any more comfortable on her affected leg, despite the abscess draining, do you think its necessary to get the vet out again to check in case there is a secondary abscess or an under lying problem. Or do you think am asking for to big a result to quickly, and think I should give it another good few days before getting the vet out to take another look?

Like I say talking to him over the phone he doesn't seam to concerned, but I am; I think its just cause I have no experience with abscesses, and just don't no what to expect.

They usually sigh with relief once it is open and are often immediately almost sound, although I always get my farrier to deal with abscesses as they do a better job in my opinion.
    I am surprised yours is no better lameness wise after two days if it is open and draining, the lameness is caused by the pressure rather than the abscess, if it was an infection in any other area it would just swell up and may be sore but often not really causing them to be lame.
    If no better and the draining stops it may need further investigation, hopefully in a day or two it will improve.

Foal

Her leg is really swollen, but they often swell up when she's on box rest.... She's a real mystery at times !