Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just backed

Default Re: Thermal Imaging - now what?

It is , I'm sure there's alot of people on here who knows what it feels like if only they cud talk to us - his lameness has been ongoing for nearly 3 years now & no, I only had him a week before I notice he wasn't right (totally my fault as I took a massive risk and didn't get him vetted) obviously his previous owners didnt want to know a thing & we set up a whole court case with solicitors but that's a different story! It wasn't until a physio came out two weeks later and confirmed his bilateral lameness! I was horrified! No1 else had detected it. The diganostic stage started there & has been ongoing ever since x

Veteran

If your horse is sound in shoes and lame out of them, shoes is the logical step. Sounds like he is not sound now or what is his level of lameness currently? TBH this just shows how rubbish termal imaging is.. At the best.. with a pinch of salt.. it's going to show up active inflammation, not all arthritic changes etc. which can be causing pain. Presumeable radiographs have diagnosed the arthritis? Have you tried hinm on bute?

Just backed

"""""""don't want to sound pompadour but to me you seem to have taken the biggest bravest step and no quite given it a fair chance. I can only speak of my own opinion though.""""""

Not at all - but I'm just following my vets advice - he said try bf & then decided he couldn't cope with it. However I am reluctant to keep up with the remedial shoeing to keep him field sound - and at 90 a time every 6 weeks! His hoofs are terrible x

Just backed

Yes radiographs have diagnosed everything. He's currently 2/5 bilaterally lame behind - his front lameness is intermittent atm x

Veteran

Tbh with a horse with diagnosed osteoarthritis that is not sound I would be tempted to pts unless yuo can manage the pain. Sorry, but it is a degenerative condition and isn't going to get any better.

Themal imaging just shows heat so hot spots on the horse show I am not an expert but as navicular is associated with lack of circulation I am not sure it would show as a hot spot.
    The new hot spot on the wither could anything from active arthritis to skin inflammation, it's interpretation of all these diagnostic tools that the difficult for what it's worth my vet does not find thermal imaging very helpful.
    You are in a sad situation and I wish all the best in making what is a difficult desiscion Good luck withit all.

OP, is your horse rugged? If so a hotspot on the wither could be easily explained by rug pressure.
    Thermal imaging really is not the be all and end all, it is in general very rudimentary.

Sorry to hear about your horse. My girl was diagnosed with Navicular 12 months ago although she doesn't have any other health problems. It was only diagnosed after getting a starting point from thermal imaging & I have it done every 6 months so I can see changes. Such a shame for a young horse to have so many ailments & not an easy decision regarding his future. ((((Hugs)))

Just backed

Yes he is rugged up & exactly what i thought about the weird spots on his withers - i will post the images on here tomorrow night. My vet refuses to look at the images as he too says thermal imaging is totally unreliable. It depends on so many factors! yet another waste of money!

Quote Originally Posted by pollypock1211 View Post
    """""""don't want to sound pompadour but to me you seem to have taken the biggest bravest step and no quite given it a fair chance. I can only speak of my own opinion though.""""""

Not at all - but I'm just following my vets advice - he said try bf & then decided he couldn't cope with it. However I am reluctant to keep up with the remedial shoeing to keep him field sound - and at 90 a time every 6 weeks! His hoofs are terrible x
    My normal shoes cost more than that every five weeks plus the visit cost.