Schoolmaster

Default Would you consider getting a sharer for your dressage horse?

I mainly lurk in comp roders, but have found it to be a mine of good advise in here.

I have a lovely, talented but very opinionated and tricky mare. She is a 17hh Trakehner, rising 8 but is way behind in her training due to enforced time off and not picking a good trainer until the end of last year.

I used to work with horses and then broke my back in September 2010. We both had a long time off and I started riding again mid 2011. I can no longer work with horses anymore because of my injury and have started off in a new career which is going very well but as you would expect, I am not very highly paid as yet!

I did have Dakota at a nice DIY yard but it really wasn't working for me. I lost a lot of confidence after my accident and was progressing no where fast there. I moved her to a dressage yard that I absolutely love. The YO is a fab rider and trainer, the facilities are great and I have her on 5 day livery, but it is not cheap at all!
    I feel like I need to be at this yard, I love it and am really progressing there but am struggling financially. I need the support of the yard that I am at and trust them implicitly with Dakota, she is so happy there.

To help with the finances, I think I may have to get a sharer. It is not something I want to do but it is more necessity. A bit of extra towards the cost of keeping her would really relieve the pressure a lot.

I am struggling with the idea of sharing though...

Would you share your dressage/ comp horse or would you scrape by financially?

The person would obviously have to ride well...

Help please!

Old nag

Default Re: Would you consider getting a sharer for your dressage horse?

Yes I would if it gave me some help both time and money wise. There are some really good riders looking for a share out there.

If I were you then yes, I would probably put up an ad. If you find a good and reliable rider that clicks with you and your horse then great and if not you won't have lost anything.

When I was looking for a (preferably) dressage horse to share I really struggled to find one as there were absolutely no dressage horses out there for share. The one I found in the end hadn't even been advertised, so I was really lucky there. This is just to show that there are riders out there waiting for a dressage horse to share.

Just make sure that you draw a good contract, probably with a trial period. You could also make weekly/fortnightly (depending on costs) lessons with your trainer a requirement so that the work you put into your mare doesn't get lost.

Good luck in finding a sharer if you decide to go for it

I would and i do, works well and both me and sharer very happy

Yes I would and in your case I'd probably ask the trainer -- she may well have a student without her own horse who'd be interested.
    "You would just totally forget all sense of time and space and you were often astonished at how much better you would ride on [her] commands than you actually could ride"

Schoolmaster

A view from the other side - I would share a dressage horse, especially in a set up like that, I have my own horses, teach and ride to medium but can't afford to purchase and run another horse to further my training/compete while my old boys are still living out their retirement. I expect there are more people like me out there.

Veteran

I expect to be in the same position as Bethie, so will probably be very keen for a dressage share in the future.

Schoolmaster

Brilliant, thanks for the replies. Will start to look for the right person...