Sport horse

Default showjumping blues :(

went to a show today...a bit upset really beause i had a really good time doing 1ft3/6 clear round and Mouse was very good BUT
    i came back to watch and there was a 2ft3 showjumping class....with LOADS of young kids (younger then me)....one girl was about 8!!! its a bit embarassing really and i wish i could do those classes but i know i cant haha
    any advice about fillers?? the bigger the jumps, the more spooky they get...and Mouse wont jump them!!!! he'll just about jump a plank? id love to try and do some showjumping comps on him xx
    its probably all in my head, blaming him for my nerves x
    rant over........
    embarrassed by my old posts...

Schoolmaster

Default Re: showjumping blues :(

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMouse View Post
    went to a show today...a bit upset really beause i had a really good time doing 1ft3/6 clear round and Mouse was very good BUT
    i came back to watch and there was a 2ft3 showjumping class....with LOADS of young kids (younger then me)....one girl was about 8!!! its a bit embarassing really and i wish i could do those classes but i know i cant
    Easier said than done, but don't let the later class upset you! You had a really good time - so focus on that I am in my twenties and spent a whole year going round 2'3'' classes on a Warmblood horse whilst she got her head around going out jumping and yes, I did feel embarrassed jumping alongside (and losing to!) small girls on their 12hh ponies. BUT we can move onto other classes now, so the groundwork and taking our time was well worth it. If you are enjoying clear round with your horse/pony and he is really good at a show environment, that's great as you have a great base to start from.

any advice about fillers??
    I have a few questions - I'm so sorry if this comes out sounding like a grilling!

How long have you had him?
    How often do you take him out?
    How do you prep him for fillers at home?

I'm going to suggest all the usual tricks - start small and build up; fillers to the side of the jumps (and randomly around the arena, if he spooks at them) and move them in gradually; use coats and rugs over poles to create different fillers each time; regular lessons... I will try to remember to return when I've got a bit more time with a few more original suggestions in case you've tried all of those. In the meantime someone more knowledgeable will come along and help you more

its probably all in my head
    Probably a large chunk of it is
    But schooling at home will help you as well as him; as will focusing on the good with Mouse - the clear rounds, etc. - and ignoring what others are doing. See 2'3'' as your aim and where you will be, not where you think you should be right now.