Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default African Horse Sickness--are we ready?

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/311951.html

''Epidemiologist Prof Matt Baylis of Liverpool University said: “Horse owners should start thinking about what they would do if AHS were in the midge population of the UK or Europe. ''

PLEASE READ the comments under the H&H article posted by SA horse owners

The article says a vaccine could be produced in 6 weeks.
    That is a NEW vaccine not the one currently used in South Africa

The 50year old vaccine currently in use takes THREE seasons of boosters before it is effective so many of the deaths are in young horses.

It takes 6 weeks for a horse to build any kind of immunity to AHS.

PLEASE READ about the outbreaks and current studies in SA--you will be shocked at the number of cases
    http://www.ahsequilink.co.za/

IF a NEW VACCINE can be produced in 6 weeks for an outbreak in Europe please ask WHY this is not being done NOW to save horses in SA
    From Horses for Life:
    The intention to harm need not be present for a horse to in fact, be harmed.
    Knottenbelt
    Do unto the horse as you would have done to yourself.

Default Re: African Horse Sickness--are we ready?

We are so not ready

I posted a couple of months ago on this very subject, no one seemed to know what I was talking about and one poster actually more or less called me a troll (although she subsequently apologised), it is a when and not an if now and we are sitting ducks
    WARNING THREAD KILLER

MEMBER OF THE MY HORSES ARE UNSHOD CLIQUE

I don't understand why more is not happening about this. Whenever it is mentioned, it seems to get ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    I don't understand why more is not happening about this. Whenever it is mentioned, it seems to get ignored?
    As always it is about supply and demand the same with EIA and heartworm in dogs which we are also at great risk of, put simply if there is a big enough demand for the vaccine the veterinary profession will supply it, but as we know we are a complacent lot and we will probably not demand until they are here and it is big news!!!

Thanks KarynK

My concern-- there is a need for this vaccine NOW in South Africa
    To have it being used in SA means it really would be ready if needed in the EU

Having gone through FMD in 2001 and had the heartbreak of my sheep being killed as part of the ''firebreak'' I would not want this kind of solution to an AHS outbreak.

In SA AHS cases are nursed and some survive, that would not be the practice here.
    From Horses for Life:
    Knottenbelt

Comment from the TBA Chairman Kirsten Rausing:

http://www.ownerbreeder.co.uk/2012/0...rd-our-future/

''There are many challenges ahead. The work of the government and the EU, particularly with regard to rural policies, requires continued vigilance and effort in support of recruiting and retaining our members which is always challenging. Veterinary concerns will always be uppermost in our minds, and emerging diseases which may have the potential to threaten our stock, not least the potential concerns highlighted by the Schmallenberg virus and the seeming breakdown of the African Horse Sickness vaccine involved in a deadly outbreak in South Africa’s neighbour, Swaziland, need to be carefully monitored. ''

Yet another indication that the new vaccine is needed NOW

Report on Swaziland case
    http://web.oie.int/wahis/public.php?...reportid=11824
    From Horses for Life:
    Knottenbelt

I completely and utterly agree with You 100% that a vaccine is needed NOW- This county is NOT prepared for an outbreak at all.

I had to study AHS as part of my college course years ago and I stated then that UK is not ready and that work should have started then (about 9/10 years ago now)

But- who is going to pay?

Veteran

How scary.
    Sweet itch rugs for all, for starters!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Duck View Post
    I completely and utterly agree with You 100% that a vaccine is needed NOW- This county is NOT prepared for an outbreak at all.

I had to study AHS as part of my college course years ago and I stated then that UK is not ready and that work should have started then (about 9/10 years ago now)

But- who is going to pay?
    Who foots the bill--that could well be the sticky point

But surely to reduce the spread of disease in SA reduces the risk of it ever getting into the EU which must be a win win situation.

I understand the SA Gov used to pay for working horses to be vacc, that stopped I think around 1995. In 2001-02 there was a huge outbreak with possibly 3000 working horses dead. Horses poorer families depended on for a living.
    From Horses for Life:
    Knottenbelt

They've been saying this in SA for ages - that it's likely to 'migrate'. I agree, we need a vaccine over here. We have one, but not an effective one.

The problem though, cuffey, is that a lot of people don't vaccinate in SA. All competitive horses have to be vaccinated and have a vet sign, so that's ok. Plenty of people with pleasure horses etc do vaccinate at home (vaccines are quite cheap), but there are many more who don't. Those who have horses on the farms or in fields but are not overly concerned about welfare etc, often haven't vaccinated.

The other problem is that cattle are carriers of AHS, so are zebras, but they are often symptomless carriers.

The one thing you do have going is that it normally stops at the first frost of the year...which is much earlier in the UK than here.

Horrible, horrible disease I hate AHS season, every year...some years it's a massive outbreak and everybody is just constantly worrying that they'll go up one day and the horse will be fine and the next day he'll be dead.