Veteran

Default First Dressage party

So happy today, took my 4yr old, meadmoor zephyr to his first dressage competition. It was also his first ever show under saddle

Ive owned him since he was a yearling and I broke him myself and until 4 weeks ago we were both happy just plodding around the farm but due to no facilities (last year I booked him to go to a friend for extra schooling) but on the understanding that I was going to go and help her and we could learn together

So in the last 4 weeks my baby boy has been on a trailer (we've got a lorry) used a walker, been clipped, shod and been going well on the road and in the school. So last week cher (my trainer) decided he was ready to go to his first party. No pressure just a nice experience for us both to do.

So Sunday dawned earlier (due to the clocks) and away we went. we were in 2nd to do intro a which was brilliant as the warm up was empty. warmed up slowly with lots of halt walk transitions, i was so nervous he was so good and was having a nose at everything and when two other horses came into the warm up he was interested in them but listened to me the whole time.

warming up

having a good look around

with cher

So onto the test
    he was so amazing, didn't look at the boards and was ok with the car
    The test went lovely, didn't ask for contact as we wanted him to encourage him to go forward for now. but he listened to me the whole time. was so pleased with him

The test
    http://youtu.be/Tqi_3AzDs5g

So i was so pleased with the test didn't mind what score he had as I knew what we'd achieved but was amazed with 62.2% and a lovely 6th place rosette and a nice 8 for our final halt

So chuffed with my baby boy sorry for the long post

Schoolmaster

Default Re: First Dressage party

Well done! Onwards and upwards if he has achieved all that in a few weeks- what a honest ponio!

Just backed

Well done. Cant beat taking your own that you've started to their first show

What a lovely baby, he is going to be super - well done
    WARNING THREAD KILLER

MEMBER OF THE MY HORSES ARE UNSHOD CLIQUE

Sport horse

Sweet horse, but I am struck by how you continuously 'kick' him. Since he is a young horse and not a dulled riding school slave, I would be concerned that you desensitivise him to your leg.

I like to see the open frame in which you allow him to move. With a bit more focus on your position and balance you'll make a great team.
    Ceterum censeo Hyperflexionem esse delendam.