Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Very strange lump on Mares stomach.

This very wierd lump has appeared on my sisters mares stomach over the last few weeks, I have been away and havent seen it for a while but it seems to have got bigger, Its alot bigger than my hand and is the same on both sides of the gulley down the middle of her stomach. Its abit back from where her girth would sit. Its like play doh to touch, if you press it the indents of your fingers remain there for a few seconds. I literally have no idea what it is? Could it be edema? She has been on boxrest for a while?

Default Re: Very strange lump on Mares stomach.

My lad had a lump very similar although i cant remember the name, and it was caused by him kicking himself trying to get flys off, could something be irritating her in this area?
    N&F

ETA there called hematomas i think
    Last edited by BeanyG; 06-03-12 at 05:51 PM. Reason: adding info

Veteran

looks like a haematoma caused by a knock, bang or kick - one of my horses had something similar on his chest last year, think he got kicked by one of the other horses.

His started going down after a few weeks but I did get my vet to check it out after a week or so

She's notin foal is she? Sometimes mares get oedema starting just behind the girth and tracking back towards the teats when they are pregnant.

Sport horse

My mare had exactly the same a couple of weeks ago. Vet said she probably kicked herself when getting up. It went down after about 10 days.

It looks very like a ventral oedema. My mare had one when on box rest and it was caused by the Danilon (similar to bute but more palatable) she was taking. The Danilon had caused colitis (inflammation of the colon) and low protein levels. She was in Leahurst Equine Hospital for 3 days as colitis is potentially very serious.

I did not realise anything serious was wrong as my mare seemed ok other than the odd swelling. I have since met someone whose horse died after a bout of colitis, so if I were you I would get the vet out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by vanessarimmer View Post
    It looks very like a ventral oedema. My mare had one when on box rest and it was caused by the Danilon (similar to bute but more palatable) she was taking. The Danilon had caused colitis (inflammation of the colon) and low protein levels. She was in Leahurst Equine Hospital for 3 days as colitis is potentially very serious.

I did not realise anything serious was wrong as my mare seemed ok other than the odd swelling. I have since met someone whose horse died after a bout of colitis, so if I were you I would get the vet out ASAP.
    She was on Danilon for ages, she had well over 30 sachets! We'll ring the vet.

Veteran

looks the same as a horse I knew who used to kick his tum to get flys off, could you try fly spray or a fly rug that has the tummy panel to try and protect her from the flys and see if that works?

Sport horse

My big TB gelding gets the same sort of oedema in the girth area if he is on box rest for more than 2 days which unfortunately he is at the mo - his goes down though if he's walked out in hand for 5 mins or so. My vet said it can be sign of a heart issue if it doesn't dissipate quickly (he has been checked out and he is fine) so it might be worth getting it looked at.

Veteran

If on box rest they could just be swellings from being stood in. Mine had a massive sheath and boob like lumps,let me see if I can find a pic....