Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran

Default Re: My horse barged past me this morning out of the stable

Get a length of chain a couple of tie rings and a couple of strong clips and put that across the door about mid chest (his) height so that even if the door is open he cannot barge out.
    every time you go into the stable make him move and stand at the back of the stable and if he moves before you tell him, make him go back again.

Get tougher, if he barges you then jolly well barge him back.

Schoolmaster

Can you pop the headcollar on over the stable door? That would help and also you can put a chain link across the doorway so when you open the door the chain is still across. They are short term solutions whilst you teach him to move back and wait when you enter the stable.

I've had this problem!

I did a combination of things, waving a rope at her till she backed well away from the door, and then I'd open the door slightly to test her - only enough so that I could slam it if she barged. (does that make sense) So If she did barge - I slammed it shut and she got the rope in her face again! Built that up and continued this until she packed it in and she's only done it once since because we moved yards. It's so sodding rude!

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhunter49 View Post
    Get tougher, if he barges you then jolly well barge him back.
    Agree with this, if your horse does not respond to your voice then I think pushing him back. I have always dealt with a bargy horse by barging them back when needed.

RIP my darling Seren, gone but never forgotten xx Hello Nell

agree with everything above. as he has not done it in 3 years he obviously knows how to behave properly, he just wanted to push the limits because he wanted out. dont let this one off time become a habit

Agree you need to nip this in the bud now, I would probably go in with my whip and he would be getting a sharp smack on the chest and shoved back. This will no doubt solve your problem quickly!

Schoolmaster

All ok this morning- thnk you all. All it took was to walk towards the stable ina purposeful way then I had a stick and tapped the air with it underhand and he moved away from the door -so could getin ok and everything ok from then onwent ok. He is a good boy really but will try it on with me.

Glad to hear it! Always better safe than sorry