Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question LUCKY HORSESHOE - WHICH WAY UP?

Hi All,
    I want to polish and mount one of my daughter's horse shoes (or rather daughter's horse's shoes?)for her wedding later this year but cannot decide which way up to mount it.
    My farrier insists it should be open end down, same as horse brasses are hung on the leather straps, which allows the luck within to enter the room. Most other people I have asked say open end up to keep the luck from falling out, which makes sense too.
    Am tending to go with farrier and horse brass people as being based on centuries of horsey knowledge, but scared to get to wrong and bring bad luck to my daughter and her fiance!
    Not really that superstitious BUT........?
    All input welcomed!
    Thanks, and good luck to all, Angie

Default Re: LUCKY HORSESHOE - WHICH WAY UP?

open end down is how Ive always heard it, to stop luck falling out

I was always told to keep a horseshoe open end up, to stop the luck running out of it. And, even though I would not class myself as superstitious, I do have a horseshoe on my windowsill open end up, and a friend made me a horseshoe pendent last year and I made sure she did it open end up too!

I was told by my farrier to have a shoe open end up but on an angle to let good luck in but let the bad luck out!

Old nag

This way.

Photo from google.

Ive heard both, open end up to collect luck, or open end down to stop the devil sitting in it! lol

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.

Open end down if u live in Rutland, open end up elsewhere

Old nag

According to a book I have somewhere (the most convincing source quoting ever ) it was traditionally open end down for the rather peculiar reason that they were mounted outside of houses / churches and open end down they apparently resemble female reproductive organs and would distract any devils or evil spirits from entering the house. According to this book, the church objected to this rather vulgar idea and switched it so it was open end up - possibly for some tenuous reason I can't recall... I vaguely recollect some idea about mounting it on its side to resemble the C of Christ, but that was never common practice, I don't think!

Not sure I believe all that, but y'know Open end up would be more conventional now I would say.
    It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

www.facebook.com/Hotbloodedhighland

Quote Originally Posted by dressagelove View Post
    open end down to stop the devil sitting in it! lol
    That's the way I've heard it
    Reluctant member of the 'Tb Injury Hotline' clique and the 'Nothing like a knobber' clique

Open end up