Veteran

Default Advice please. Itchy scabs around girth area.

My cob has itchy scabs around her girth area. I was preparing her for her second clip of the year today and thought I was brushing the mud off her tummy when I found these itchy scabby bits and lumps. She is trying to itch this area and likes it being brushed - not at all painful.

I last rode her on wednesday and she was fine but only gave her a quick brush over so may have missed them. She is normally ridden in a kieffer neoprene girth but the last time I used her Thorowgood cob girth, both of these girths have been used before without any problems.

I won't ride her until this has healed and will call the vet on Monday but in the meantime I was wondering what this could be and would appreciate some advice.

Default Re: Advice please. Itchy scabs around girth area.

sounds like she has got too hot. i would suggest a shampoo of the area with hibi scrub, or deosect. keep the area clean with a regular wash. check around her mane and tail to see if she has aquired some extra friends. as they are not sore you are probably ok to ride her, unless they are very raw. did you re clip her? i would if you havent cos then at least you can see whats going on and easier to wash and clean and dries quicker.

Veteran

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I did re clip her and put some antibiotic cream on, she did have feather mites recently and I used Frontline on them. There is nothing around her mane and tail area, I have got some deosect so I could use that. She only lives with one other horse on a private yard so not in contact with any other horses to aquire friends!

Veteran

Bump

Old nag

You could try using a sheepskin girth cover once she's healed and ready to be ridden again. I have two, so that I can wash one and use the other. You need to get proper sheepskin, with the wool attached to the leather still and make sure that it's the type that can go in the washing machine.

Just backed

Mine's been getting exactly the same thing - I think it's a sweat rash. I've started by washing the area just with a tea tree shampoo, getting what scabs I could off, then applying antiseptic cream daily until it had cleared up. After that I've been really careful about washing off her girth area after riding which has worked, although I did find a few scabs in her armpits this week - think I missed a bit!

Have borrowed some girth covered (one neoprene, one fake sheepskin) to see if they help, and she's getting clipped this week!

Veteran

I have been putting cream on which seems to be helping. I have been using the neoprene girth for a long time without any problems so maybe she has just been getting too hot and sweaty. Will get a sheepskin cover and see if that helps.

Schoolmaster

My boy has a sore patch on his armpit and it keeps coming back! Never had it before, I put wonder gel on it and it went but back again today looks like mud fever but very small in one place. I have put benovate on it tonight!!

Veteran

I have spoken to the vet and she has bacterial folliculitis, she had a similar thing on her shoulder last year. The vet said that she has sensitive skin and it could have been caused by clipping. Hope it doesn't happen again. I have bought a sheepskin girth cover to use when it's healed up.