Just backed

Default Rubber mats Vs EVA

I an looking to get my stable matted and have been looking at all the different options. EVA seems to be the better quality but is more pricey. Is there much of a difference? Especially in terms of comfort for the horse.
    Please give me any good and bad points about either. Thanks

Default Re: Rubber mats Vs EVA

A big difference. My two have 34mm thick easimats at 320 per stable but they are so worth it.
    I use them in conjunction with wood pellets.
    Saves so much time but my horses are also comfortable. There is so much give in the mats so its like them lying on grass.
    The cheap rubber ones are no softer than concrete, absolute rubbish and I'd hate my horses lying on them

I have the very heavy, very thick rubber mats - -mainly because my horse loves to lie down after digging her bed up, so she was getting down on her knees on concrete previously! They are harder than the EVA mats, but they are not as hard as concrete as Welshie Squisher has said! They suit me fine. They don't move and they do the job I bought them to do.

hi ive got both sorts and i much prefer the EVA ,i just sprinkle enough shavings on to soak up the wet and sweep everything out in a morning ,its springy( 34mm) and soft and i had some with a ten year guarantee ,i have an unshod horse on it and ive had it down for two years and its fab. with the ordinary matting (17mm) i put about 6" of shavings on top cos its thin and not as soft to walk on so cant be as comfortable to lie down on without a bed. also the EVA is light to lift and easy to clean-not like the heavy stuff!

We have rubber mats in 2 stables but have thick straw beds. Just bought mats for my new horse and after researching threads on here and other forums have gone for EVA mats (Mayo mats, for cows!). They are much thicker and softer than rubber, and I haven't had to put down such a thick bed as when I was trying to cover concrete. I think they will be warmer too (I remember feeling cold seeping through the soles of cheap wellies when standing on concrete myself!).

Just backed

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like EVA gets the vote. Off to check out the cow mats now

Sport horse

I have had both types of mat and can say that the rubber mats are better!

I forked out for EVA mats a few years ago and was not impressed with them :-( I found that they were very easy to lay etc but when you left the stable door open (when I banked the bedding up to let the floor dry) and the sun shone in the stable the mats expanded and bowed up, I then had to recut them on several occasions which was a PIA !!

EVA all the way. I've had some Cow Comforts for almost 20 years and they can stand shod horses no problem at all.
    Member of only the cliquiest of cliques - including 'Infractors Anonymous'

Just backed

I've just read on one web site that EVA mats don't cope well with road studs - and this was a company selling them. Is this true? Anyone use them?
    Also, how often do you need to lift the mats - just once at the end of winter or more frequently?

Iv got two sets of EVA. A set of 20mm equimats and some 34mm easimats. Like both, I find the equimats jigsaw joints do stop urine getting under them as opposed to the easimats, however they're both so light, can easily pick them up and wash them. This is only since they're on straw now as opposed to shavings so not as absorbent despite large beds. I got mine for the comfort and warmth, not to save on bedding.