Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have experiance with a horses 4 legs randomly swelling?

Okay were to begin!! Thursday last week mare was getting shod, a water tap suddenly went off behind her and she spooked resulting in her leaping around knocking legs and feet off the farriers tool box ect. Checked her on Thur night and we had escaped with nothing but a scratch on her front right pastern (at the back were the pastern meets the fetlock). Fri morning everything was normal so I rode her and she was fine. Sat the front leg was a bit swollen were the cut was but not lame etc so I just went on a hack (just walking). Sun morning front right (one with cut) was swollen up around the pastern and back right was swollen at the top inside of the cannon bone and just above the fetlock on the outside, other two legs were normal. I walked her out and she was lame on a tight turn in walk, sound in walk and trot in a straight line and about 3/4 fiths lame on a circle in trot. Mon morning both front and back right legs were swollen right up to just below knee and hock, I called the vet to arrange him to come out asap. Went back to yard on Mon night and ALL legs were swollen, both rights are worse, both lefts just swollen to above fetlock and horse very sore to walk. This morning no change in both rights but left front swelling has increased to just below the knee and back left no change. Vet came out checked her over and couldnt find anything amiss minus the swollen legs of course. Bloods were taken which we will get results for in the morning and she was given a painkiller which she reacted to!! Breathing rapidly increased and she broke out in a sweat, thankfully she went back to normal after an hour. Vet thinks it may be diet related but the only change that we can think of in the past few weeks is a) we were given a new field with long marshy grass and b) she was out last Wed and it was very wet compared to usual, as in sometimes the water was up to the middle of her pastern. She just gets half a scoop of fast fibre, one scoop of Hi-Fi lite, a handfull of oats and pink powder which she has been on for about 2 months. Vet said to cut her haylage tonight incase its that as the haylage has changed in the past week but tbh its always changing and shes never reacted. Shes 4 and we've never had problems with swollen legs or lameness with her so tbh im baffled!! Anyone any ideas??

Default Re: Anyone have experiance with a horses 4 legs randomly swelling?

Does she have white legs? Could be mud fever. I got my new boy at the end of June when it was hot and dry, we had a torrential downpour and his back legs (white to the fetlocks) were hugely swollen. He had been in long grass and his legs just got soaked. he has pink skin above his heels and although there was no mud, there was plenty of moisture, enough to soften his skin. Luckily his front legs are black, but I suppose if they have 4 white feet it could occur in all legs? I've been applying Keratex mud shield powder, and (touch wood) we haven't had a repeat.

Yes four white legs Does mud fever not start with scabby cuts though? Her legs are clean from cuts etc minus that front one.

No. Not all mudrash is the mild classic form.. The horse that I was talking about on NL that gets severe mud rash gets masively swollen legs about a week before the scabs develop.. (he is another one with four white socks) You also said that you've hosed the legs every day too - which will be keeping them in the same state they were in the field... That said, you'd think that the vet would recognise it. My vet diagnosed our horse's mud rash before I'd even thought of ir - I was like you, expecting the scabs and "usual" mud rash symptoms. With this particular horse its a different ball game altogether.. With him, his legs have to be kept dry at all times or it just blows his legs up like you wouldn't believe - they look like elephant legs and if it gets really bad he can hardly bend his legs. Fortunatley we just about have control of it nowadays, but it really caught us about the first winter we had him..

Ah thats interesting, i always thought it started with scabs!! She is quite sensitive skinned (coloured horse), if you dont wash the sweat off her back or ride with a dirty saddlecloth she comes up in little yellow scabs. Easily sorted with clean saddlecloths and a wash down with Botanica antiseptic stuff after riding, also if you dont wash the sweat off her elbows they break out in yellow scabs. But tbh I always wash her legs off after I ride to get the dirt off and in the summer she was hosed down everyday after being exerciesd but then again they dryed within an hour wereas the past 2 weeks shes been out for hours in a very wet very mucky field!! Il suggest that to the vet in the morning

Sport horse

I found my TB with all 4 legs really swollen once. Had started to introduce Biotin a few days before and really did not think it could be that but took him off it anyway just in case. Legs were back to normal within 24 hours.
    Maybe it's something in the field?
    Agree it could be mudfever also, the legs can swell up quite badly.

Would you let us know when they work it out. Its always interesting to find out the answer to thread like this - I learn a lot from them!

Schoolmaster

We`ve had 3 horses with this in the last month on our yard, and I would say it is diet related. We had a real growth spurt in the grass when we had rain followed by that week of sunshine at the beggining of the month. It was almost like spring grass. It gave a couple of the horses a bit of an upset stomach and very wet droppings, followed by very swollen legs because of protein build up and oedema.

Veteran

I had something similar around this sort of time last year when I moved my 2 onto a new field that (unbeknown to me) had been fertilised a bit too enthusiastically, both my horses legs swelled up and they were a little stiff although not lame.
    The vet thought it may be protein related and suggested restricting the grazing until it had settled down and the body had adjusted.
    TBH it was one of the reasons I left that particular yard - they though you could put as much fertiliser as you liked on a field and all would be fine - the thought of putting my lammi prone horse onto the summer fields which had been done 4 times in 6 months terrified me!!!

Youngster

My old pony got a very similar thing twice (also had 4 white socks);

First time was when the spring grass came through/he changed paddock and all four legs warmish and hugely swollen but not lame. Walked him for 20 minutes and swelling all went down back to complete normal. Put him back in paddock then next day was the same. Went on for about 5 days until his system got used to the grass and we had no future problems.

Second time was starting of winter - swollen, hot, painful legs (all of them) a few days later legs 'exploded' with mud fever. Had puss the works. Vet and antibiotics did the trick.

This does sound like a big mud fever episode coming on - makes sense because her legs have been wet. Keep legs clean and dry but don't bandage unless you absolutley have to put her back in the paddock (stable or yard her) Is she chestnut? The chestnuts are more suseptable to mud fever and rain scald issues. My pony was chestnut with 4 white socks - he also had some rainscald. Good luck!!