Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How much weight can a 14hh traditional cob carry

As title. In your opinion, how much weight can such a pony carry? He's 8 years old fit and nicely covered but not fat. Thanks.

Default Re: How much weight can a 14hh traditional cob carry

really depends on the horse, my stocky 14hh connie x (looking more cob like at present) has had back problems in the past so I won't let anyone over 10.5 stone ride her for any extended period.

Veteran

I've a traditional cob that a bit bigger at 14.2hh, he's a powerhouse, tanked off with my 13 stone sister
    I'm 12 stone and he hardly knows I'm there, so fit and well I'd say easily 12 stone, probably more but just because they can carry more doesn't mean they should be carrying top end.
    Also depends whether its regular or one off, my sister only rides odd times but if regular I'd get her a cob a hand bigger.

Just backed

In cob classes at shows they expect a 14hh to 15hh cob with 8+inches of bone to be able to carry 14 stone or more.

I think it depends on the rider too, how fit they are and what their BMI is rather than their weight. e.g a fit and strong 5ft 10 person who weighs 14 stone is different to a 5ft nothing 14 stone person.

I am afraid I come into the latter category at 5ft 4 and just under 14 stone. And I ride my 6 year old, 14.3hh 500kg Gypsy cob who has 10 inches of bone. I do light hacking and short amounts of schooling in walk and trot, with the occasional canter in a straight line on a hack. The only competition I have done is a walk-trot test. My light weight friend I would let do anything with him.

is this based on the earlier thread of same name ?

will repeat my answer-since he is over 6 i'd say up to 13stone.
    RIP My sweet Daisy. Until we meet again. 5/12/2013 <3

I'm 5'9" and 13 stone and ride my friend's daughters 8 year old 14hh Welsh Section D who had a good bit of bone and muscle and weighs about 470kgs without any problem. I've ridden him side saddle too.

Just backed

My 14.2 Sec D carries me 11 stone no probs EXCEPT uphill, he has to work SO I would say I am his limit, however hes only been ridden since Jan this year so his weight carrying ability may increase a little yet but I'm careful on my 'porky' days to cut back a bit for a few days as I dont want to gain anymore weight-for his sake :-)

Just backed

I would say 14 stone easily, provided the horse is fit and the rider reasonably balanced. I have a sec D (15 hand) that carries my 14 stone easily, hunts all day, jumping 3 foot - 3 foot 6 with ease. Has evented/teamchased too.

Old nag

I ride my 14.2 cob - good bone - I'm a 16 stone bloke (but we always ride bareback as there ain't a saddle that fits us both - bareback all paces to gallop, he's very comfortable and balanced)

Interesting question and interesting answers as I've been wondering if a 14.1 Connemara with decent bone would carry me too, I'm 5'4" and about 12 stone; it would only be for basic hacking too that is mostly roadwork although we do have some fair hills!
    Pat. Be a pauper - have a horse, preferably a British one

Deleted by popular demand.