Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Default anyone else ever had problems with colic after worming ? (equest pramox)

hi....new to the forums and to be honest i just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had any problems with colic after worming their horse?

had to have my beloved arab oliver put to sleep yesterday - after owning him for over 20 years. i am beyond devastated as you can imagine .

terrible colic and wasnt responding to hours of treatment from a vet.

the thing that is grating on my heart is that i wormed him exactly 48 hrs before the onset of colic with equest pramox wormer.

i dont do him vey often (maybe once a year) as he has a field on his own with horses next door and i daily collect the droppings. so he's not a horse that is at massive risk from worms - or worm burden

he's never had colic in his life and i worm him and suddenly within 48 hrs he dies from it .

anyone else ever had any problems with colic after worming ?

thanks guys

Veteran

Default Re: anyone else ever had problems with colic after worming ? (equest pramox)

((((hugs)))) for you..
    You have my deepest sympathy as I cam very close to losing my gelding a few weeks ago from impactive colic 12 hours after being wormed with Noromectin, worming usually brings on a few days of footyness so I always worm count first to be sure I really need to do it but I never expected this!

He was wormed in the evening and presented with colic symptoms the following morning, we were pretty sure it was all over but he improved slightly after 24 hours at which point they wanted to give him a chance, he was pumped with water 2 or 3 times a day for 6 days. He pulled through but by the skin of his teeth.

He's never shown any signs of colic in the 6 years i've owned him till now either.

A few more ((((Hugs)))).. because I think you need them. x

Veteran

Default Re: anyone else ever had problems with colic after worming ? (equest pramox)

I too just wanted to say I am really sorry and how completely devastating. My heart really goes out to you.

I used this wormer for the first time a couple of weeks ago and everything was OK, but I too am quite wary of wormers, worm counting and using them only if necessary. I am interested in other replies as my oldie has just been diagnosed with Cushings and I have been told he will be more susceptible to worms. I have never quite understood how any drug can kill the worms but be harmless to the horse?

I am so sorry, you must be devastated.

Only time i've ever had a problem with a wormer was after giving an 18month filly Equest Paramox. She had colic and awful diarrhoea for several days after. She has always had low worm counts and grazing was poo picked daily.

I've had her from weaning and she's now 5yrs and never had a days illness before or since, except for the one time she had Equest Paramox.

My horse has had gas colic after Equimax and Equest (green), but so far has been OK with Pramox, which suggests its more to do with her worm burden or the state of her gut at the time of worming than the product itself.

My vet came up with the idea of giving bute from the day before worming to a few days afterwards to prevent discomfort, which seems to work. Obviously if she had a high worm burden and was at risk of impaction, that would be a different matter, but I worm count her regularly to keep an eye on that.

Old nag

Pramox is quite a powerful product - sort of all singing all dancing. Which is OK for most horses, but personally I think it is lower risk to use wormers that target the specific worms that are present, not everything, which means you can use a product which is specific to that and not everything all at once.

So I use worm counts and then worm once a year for encysted redworms which dont show on the worm counts, and also blood test for tapeworm (if positive, worm for tapeworm and test again next year, if negative my vet says they are low risk and can probably only test every other year if you want).

Also make sure you dont flu/tet vac and worm close together, I nearly lost my chap to a recurring virus he came down with shortly after this combo and now he cant have the flu vacc at all, just has tet. It took him 4 years to get over it.

Im so so sorry for your loss, it wasnt anything you did wrong :-(((

Youngster

I'm so sorry for your sad loss.

Yes we have had two horse colic using Pramox. One colicked virtually immediately and the other overnight. We no longer use this wormer.

thank you very much everyone for your replies, kind words and hugs .

i am utterly beside myself , and it is really hard to not blame myself ....but if it is the wormer that caused it then i wonder whether it should carry a clearer warning on it that these things can occur in older or maybe younger horses?

i am trying to find out the contact details of the manufacturers of the wormer but i've thrown the box and leaflet away, so if anyone does have the contact details of the manufacturer that would be greatly appreciated, so i can at least contact them with the details of what has happened
    i know it wont bring my oliver back but i would hate for others to go through what i have.

the real irony is i consulted my vet before worming my horse with it and asked if my horse would be safe taking it and it was the wormer she recommended for him .

of course there is always possibility that the loss of my horse and the wormer causing colic were unrelated but it makes you think doesnt it ....in a horse that has never presented with colic in the 20-21 years that i have owned him

thank you once again folks for your kind and helpful posts xxx

p.s - actually i have just found out it is manufactured by Pfizer Animal Health....so i will contact them - dont suppose they will reply - but at least i have let them know my situation .

thanks
    Last edited by barnaby bear; 19-09-11 at 01:12 PM.

I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss.

I personally worm count to ensure that i do have to worm them, then i dont give them the full recommended dose - I tend to give them less than it says.

I would certainly complain to Pfizer, It does seem a huge coincidence.

Once again I am so sorry to hear about Oliver.

Run free Big man xxx

sorry for your loss how sad I lost my mare in may still trying to get over it bug hugs ... my little loan pony I have just taken on for the kids has never been wormer regular I was wondering what wormer to give her I'm scared coz she has suffered with colic and is old the last thing I want to do is give her colic if any one has some advice of what I should do please tell me I was going to buy equest pramox don't think I will
    now after the sad loss of op horse thanks