Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boett Blankets

Old nag

Default Re: Boett Blankets

Nope, they breathe well IME and are thin enough to put a saddle over the top (although I think some people do remove the belly part).

If correctly measured and fitted they really shouldnt rub or move.
    Proud member of the Spaniel Owners' Support Group

Yey for the spangle massive!!

http://www.mediawebz.co.uk/emwuk.org.uk/

Veteran

Barney, my big boy was given to me and he has terrible SI. The Boett is IMO the only way to go. You can ride quite comfortably in it (sniggers from passers by). I tried a cheaper version last year but it didnt survive his favourite branch in the corner of the field. He looks rather like a terrorist in it, but it does the job. It is also important to electric fence any fav trees, posts and bushes and to turn out in highest, windiest pasture! However, just read post above and will contact Solva tomorrow to see what they have to say about their rugs - about 100 cheaper for me.

My horse is out-standing in her field.

Old nag

Yeah - am interested in the Icelandic ones too, they do look pretty much the same??

Otherwise is the only place I can get Boetts from the national Sweet Itch place online? Have found the occasional one on Ebay but bidding is pretty hot!

Veteran

Yes the Solva rugs in their pics are almost exactly the same. If you decide to go for the Boett, contact the Sweet-Itch Society by phone, they are very helpful and really friendly. I have one of Barneys old Boetts here which needs lots of sewing, but its a size 8 (when he was only 17.2hh) so I dont think it would be of any use to you. I do have a friend who was trying to find a new home for her 6ft Boett about 12 months ago, can you pm me to remind me to phone her and if she still has it - its yours.

I've been using Boetts for years. IMO they are the best out there. My big fat hairy cobbie has never overheated in it and it had never rubbed him except the face hood which I could never get him to keep on anyway. He had a rather wide nose and it just never fitted right. TBH, since the last time I bought one they have improved the design again so may be better but he doesn't need one anymore.

My girl has mild SI and had a boett on all last spring summer autum. It is the only rug I could find that did not rub her withers & shoulder. They are completely different fit to conventional rugs so dont rub in the same places. She got a little sore on her inside leg, however within a fortnight the skin had toughened up, or you can make a neoprene of sheepskin pad. My friend has an icelandic version. She says this is equaly as good, however the sizes are a little less generous. My horse usualy stays in her field shelter in hot sun, with her rug on she was happy to stand out in the full midday sun!

The rug is still in excellent condition and I have not had to use the spare material to patch up yet. They are very robust but I don't think they would withstand barbed wire in any case if you have barbed wire then shame on you!

Old nag

Llwyncwn - Have PM'd you!

Would I need the face section as well?

No, we dont have barbed wire so thats not a problem. Just the fact that my boy favourite itching places are his field shelters.....!!

Veteran

Thanks MM. Have pm'd you back!