Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry What do you do if your cut hay gets wet before baling?

Last weekend my farmer kindly cut and turned my hay. All was going well until the baler man was too busy to come and bale it for me on Monday and the rain began It has been rained on and flattened for 4 days. The farmer is meant to be coming to turn it for me again today. It has gone a bit green underneath which the farmer assures me will be fine once it is dry again. I can't be the only unlucky person this has happened to either this year or previously. Advice please. Thankyou.

Old nag

Default Re: What do you do if your cut hay gets wet before baling?

Re: What do you do if your cut hay gets wet before baling?

Cry

Not great, but if it stays dry now and you can get it turned it will probably be fine.

Proud to hack out looking like 'Bertie Bassett'.

Old nag

Don't panic Mr Mannering, leave it to the farmer as he should know his job, they will just spread it again to dry out better, turn it, several times and then bale when dry and the other bloke is ready

So long as it is baled when dry it will be OK - maybe not as much feeding value.

Mine got rained on quite a lot, over several days there was a shower which was enough to stop it being baled, but was eventually finished. I got every old bale out to use first and guess which hay my horse prefers to eat if he is loose in the yard? The new hay of course!

Veteran

Was it only turned once?? Get it turned and turned and turned and turned and then rake in and bale. Do give it a good few turns if weather will allow...

oh my god, poor you. You will have to have it baled anyway to get it off the field so I would stick head in sand, get it baled and then well before winter open a bale and check the quality - if really rubbish you may be able to sell it for cattle/sheep or soak it for horses - hopefully though it will be ok.

Thank-you everyone. The farmer told me not to worry and he is a decent chap so we will see what happens tomorrow and the next day. It is frustrating as it was so fabulous, however we have a very good doer so maybe a blessing in disguise if it isn't such good quality

Quote Originally Posted by pastie2 View Post
    Hay is like food, the less it is handled the better it is. Hay that is turned and turned goes like sticks. The best thing to do is to row it up and let the ground dry before spreading it out , then there might be half a chance of getting hay.
    Thank god someone knows what they are talking about, don't touch it till a decent spell of weather forecast, keep smashing it around the parish and you will end up with straw!

be carefull of nice farmer telling you it will be fine,im afraid this happened to ours and we lost over 700 bales