Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Re: Old fashioned stalls and stables

Years ago I regularly rode past a big Georgian house & the horses' stable was the end room (ground floor I hasten to add) it always seem really funny to see him looking out of the window in such a normal looking house.

try Cranford Hall near Kettering, last time i was there it was a livery yard, still has stable-bricks flooring etc, lovely old stables, although very boring for the horse because they stare straight at a wall all day (single row of stables in a square shape, not opposite each other.)
    definitely try Ingestre stables in Staffs, that yard is just magical. beautiful buildings. i can't remember much about the stables themselves (only went there for training and competitions, never really went into the stables) and according to the picture gallery on this page
    http://freespace.virgin.net/ingestre.stables/
    the stables seem to be newish, but the buildings are old and perhaps some of the stables/stalls are.
    the Royal Mews has to be the best bet, proper old stalls there last time I went (about 30 years ago, admittedly!)
    umm, Barleythorpe stables in Leics was beautiful but I think it may have been sold for development.
    stuck now, that's all i have!

some of the old ones had tiles on the stable walls, which i can understand because they're smart and easy to wash, but i'd be really worried about them smashing and splintering if a horse kicks them... do you have any pics of those?
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Hi there! I guess I'm sort of close to you. I would have a looky at Attingham park, I know that they have stables there. I would ask around farms with older buildings too. Often they have old stables still with the original insides that they use for storage purposes. Oh, and of course, Acton scott, they'll have some there!

Anti-Rollkur-ers please feel free to use this signature, PM me for the bigger picture.

I definitely second Ingestre stables, beautiful place and still has all the old buildings, most of the stables are newish but there is one section which is still the old style stalls, and even with the newer stables, the inside of the buildings are all old fashioned and lovely. I did have some pics, tried to find them but must be on my old computer unfortunately! Found this pic on facebook though of the stalls being used as a cafe at some point, they look just the same now except without the tables and ribbon haha xD
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...351_6738_n.jpg

Veteran

You'll find some stunning old stables and stalls at some of the National Trust owned houses that are open to the public. They really are beautiful, more work went into them than goes into many present days houses.

Veteran

My ponies at stabled in old cow sheds, probably not what your looking for though. But at work they have some stables within their house. You kind of go through what now is their garage through a small opening and their are 2 (of what I know of) stables in there.

Chatsworth House used to use their stable block as a Christmas shop, I found looking at the stables far more interesting than Christmas shopping, how sad am I?

Jamisons vets used to be based in Locko Park (Derbyshire) the old stables and stall were fabulous. Not sure what the stables are used for now as the vets practice has moved.

bransby has a few old stable

Byranston school nr Blandford (Dorrset) has some georgous stables. Got to stay in them when we stayed over for the TREC a couple of years ago. Its a propper old stable block with internal boxes on the corners.

Veteran

Another vote for the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace. They were really interesting (sorry if I sound like a geek) and of course are still in use, unlike so many of the other places.