Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommendations for white line disease

What successful products/treatments have you used to get rid of white line disease?

Veteran

Default Re: Recommendations for white line disease

Antibac or live honey brushed into the nailholes, or cracks, and around the white line.
    "Although I can accept talking scarecrows, lions and great wizards of emerald cities,
    I find it hard to believe there is no paperwork involved when your house lands on a Witch"

Founder member of the Nommers Clique We Live to Nomm, & Nomm to Live
    Member of the Malamute Massive
    ((((((forage)))))) ((((((**** that - GIN))))))

Sport horse

Keratex do a I think its called hoof disinfectant , otherwise ... befriend a farmer who has sheep and get the stuff they use for foot-rot .... works brill.

My husband is a farmer and we have over 100 sheep! I had started using some sort of blue spray I think he uses on their feet but my farrier didn't seem to sure about it. If you've had good results with it I might give it another try. Might sound like a stupid question but where exactly do you spray it so that it can actually get to the white line?

Another recommendation I've had is the Life Data Hoof Disinfectant (same people that make Farrier's Formula). Anyone got experience of that? Maybe similar to the Keratex.

Veteran

My horse has this just now and I've been recommended Antibac. I've been told to use a toothbrush to get it right in.

I'm currently using Life Data Hoof Disinfectant as the yard had some until my Antibac arrives. Farrier used to recommend this but now finds Antibac more successful.
    Could have, should have, would have!
    If it's important to say, then say it, before it's too late.

Sport horse

The key is to work out why the WLD is there in the first place. Usually this comes down to chronically unbalanced feet, or previous laminitis. Without correcting this then any attempts at treating the WLD will be unsuccesful.
    There are many opinions as to how to treat once present. Personally I like to be fairly aggressive and remove all underrun hoof wall with a dremel, then sugardine for 5 days, then leave it open. Acrylic hoof filler can be used for a more cosmetic outcome, and to give something to nail a shoe onto. I usually get them shod in a bar shoe as well, both to help correct foot balance and to stabilise the hoof wall where sections have been removed.
    A more conservative approach would just be to balance the foot, and maybe remove underrun segments of hoof wall from weight bearing. IME this just prolongs the process.
    Topical products are unlikely IMO to be succesful as a lone therapy - WLD is not a primary bacterial/fungal infection.

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by impala View Post
    My husband is a farmer and we have over 100 sheep! I had started using some sort of blue spray I think he uses on their feet but my farrier didn't seem to sure about it. If you've had good results with it I might give it another try. Might sound like a stupid question but where exactly do you spray it so that it can actually get to the white line?

Another recommendation I've had is the Life Data Hoof Disinfectant (same people that make Farrier's Formula). Anyone got experience of that? Maybe similar to the Keratex.
    The sheep stuff has copper in it and smells of formaldahyde ( not sure of the spelling on that !!!) it was called Coppertox . Keratex products are good as well if you cannot get the right sheep thing.

Just backed

I've used the Keratex Disinfectant, very good! Has a good nozzle thing on the end so you can get right in there and not waste any.
    We have an old pony that has suffered badly with Laminitis in the past, so any sign of cracks/holes we start wacking it on, to nip it in bud.
    Good Luck!
    And remember if at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Old nag

Red Horse products are very good

Just backed

Bactakil 55 has done the trick with mine. My Farrier says it's the only thing he's found that works. Easy to apply as well - it sprays on and soaks in.