Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sport horse

Default WINTEC 500 VSD WITH CAIR - FEEDBACK PLEASE

Can anyone give me any feedback on this saddle....

Stability and comfort ??
    is it suitable for cross country/hunter trials at a low level ( up to 2ft6") ??

for use on a m/w cob - saddle has a wide fitting gullet.

Hoping to trial and purchase and just wanted some opinions.

Thank you.

Default Re: WINTEC 500 VSD WITH CAIR - FEEDBACK PLEASE

IMO, if you can get hold of one, get flock, the cair's really quite hard and can't be adjusted Have got this exact saddle for my 4yo and my saddler said on no uncertain terms that I need a prolite under it to cushion it (it's only temporary for me, until he stops changing shape) or the cair can be taken out and replaced with flocking if that's not working.

They fit some shapes, but really, really don't fit others IME, so I would get somebody to fit it for you just to check if you haven't already Other than that, it's a comfy enough saddle, and it's nice and lightweight, I quite like it

J&C
    "Those who stop being better stop being great."

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon

Personally I would say "Wintec, bargepole, touch, don't" in the same sentence! BUT I know that for some people & horses they are fine!

I've had two separate incidents with horses who've both had very sore backs from a Wintec. The problem is that people think all you have to do is change the gullet and hey presto it will fit, but you also have to consider the pommel to cantel alignment and whether you've got bowing and space under the saddle.

Also ...... IMO there's a danger in CAIR panels, in that when they get hot under the horse/rider, they may expand and change the shape of the saddle fitting; also (I was told this by a master saddler) there's a danger that over time, the plastic surrounding the air panel gets fatigue from expanding and settling again, and the plastic ceases to stretch, which basically means the CAIR won't be working anyway.

Also I've heard a theory that because the saddle is made of plastic, there's a danger of static electricity being caused through friction & the horse is basically getting static electric shocks!!! Not good IMO.

So personally, I'd avoid the damn things like the plague. You can't beat a good, properly made & correctly fitted leather saddle IMO. I had mega problems fitting my flat-backed cob; tried every saddler in the area and still nothing would fit, so at the risk of "advertising" I'll recommend these people for a saddle: www.thepainfreehorse.co.uk
    A woman is always right; even if she happens to change her opinion

That’s really interesting myjodsr2blinkingtight (can we have a shorter nick name for you please lol ) anyway as I was going to say, I’ve never had a wintec saddle but tried 2, both with cair and I thought they were bloody awful, so hard (as in on the horses back) I could put up with a hard seat but not the other way round.

Also I've heard when talking my back lady (we were talking about saddles in general) that it tends to be a lot of the wintec saddles that cause sore backs, but I guess you can’t really assume it’s just the make, the fitting comes into it as well, but it was an observation she’s found which does make you wonder if it depends on if they were the cair or flocked ones, apparently the newer models are much better in more ways than one, my friend has a wintec (latest one) on her TB and although she wasn’t keen at first as she usually uses her lovely dressage saddle, she did say her horse goes well in it, I did ride in a while back and I actually quite liked it to ride in compaired to what I've heard.

If it hurt....it was probably worth it!

Tree too curved for most horses and the panels are really sloped at the back so the outside edge digs in.

The fit some narrow, nonflat horses (TB types usually) but terrible on wider, flatter types.

Old nag

I have one for my pony and it fits her really well. It also very comfortable which surprised me as I have ridden in Wintec's in the past which have felt really hard to sit on! It would definitely be fine for low level cross country/hunter trials.
    Proud member of "Our horses and ponies have forever homes!"
    If it's not an Appaloosa then it's just a horse!
    Say NO to Rollkur!!

Veteran

I have the gp version with flock and I really like it. That said, I wouldn't touch one with cair.

Dark horse is as dark horse does.

I have a gp with cair and like it but she is more of a tb type.

Thorowgoods are generally better for cobby types.
    "It's a lot like nuts and bolts - if the rider is nuts, the horse bolts!"

I used to like the Winterc more than I do now, having used older ones on a variety of horses, no comparison with a good leather saddle.
    I bought a modern one of Ebay, as new , a 2000 I think with cair, it fits fine, but the equiseuede has a cut on the cantle, (the inside "tree" is has a very sharp edge), also a puncture in one of the panels, I don't know how either of these things happened, just glad I only paid half price for it. so I would not but a new one at full price. Re fit, my horse is easy to fit.
    From the riders point of view, it will never have the lived in feel of a leather one, but again it is difficult to get a good one. I would not but a Wintec t to event or jump , as I don't feel close enough, or can mould it to my riding style.
    Last edited by Miss L Toe; 28-05-11 at 01:01 PM.

I had this exact saddle and it crippled both me and my horse! Please don't touch them! I used to warm my saddle in the footwell of my car during the winter so at least it was slightly softer.
    Try the thorps old ones if you want a cheaper synthetic changeable saddle.