Just backed

Default Swollen tendon sheath

Have a horse with right hind distension/swelling of tendon sheath has been on box rest for 4 weeks in that time was having ice compression 3-4 times a day.

Now had scan with no tendon damage etc but joint still big with fluid and fibrin. Am told cold is now no use as not in acute stage so is on box rest with pulsed magnetic boot on 3 times a day and dmso on twice a day. Any other ideas on things i could do to help it?

They did'nt want to inject as it is mainly fibrin not fluid round the fetlock. I am not trying to rush him back just get best result i can

Sport horse

Default Re: Swollen tendon sheath

My girl inflamed her tendon sheath end of March and she had hers injected 10 days after injury. I have to say that it was the only thing that got the swelling down - I did ice/cold hose/gentle walks but this didnt really keep swelling down consistently.

Why does fibrin stop them injecting? I would be concerned that if the swelling dosnt go down soon it will become a chronic issue.

Sounds like your doing everything you possibly can do to get the swelling down - and I agree ice/cold hosing unlikely to be of benefit now.

Did vets mention about surgery? My vets said that if the swelling didnt go down within 4 weeks then they would want to do keyhole surgery to check for tears that dont show up on ultrasound/tidy things up.

Hope it gets better soon. My girl's swelling went down 3 days after injection and she is still slowly coming back into work (no turnout allowed till June!!!) but touch wood no sign of swelling returning.

Just backed

Not sure why no to injecting apparently fibrin is like jelly so injection would not work
    as it would if it was all liquid.......??

But yes I agree do not want to end up with chronic problem sooner it comes down the better.

Can't understand why shockwave has'nt been suggested

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonies View Post
    Can't understand why shockwave has'nt been suggested
    Shockwave can be a useful adjunct but it is expensive for a practice to buy the equipment, and therefore expensive to owners. For a therapy with only limited benefits, it is entirely understandable that its use hasn't been put forward.

Just backed

The vets have a shockwave machine and I did ask
    whether it would be beneficial but they said rest is best option. My concern is as op said if don't get swelling down soon it will become chronic problem which could lead to problem with annular ligament tightening