Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grumbling Pancreatitis in GSD

Our 11 y/o GSD bitch has just been diagnosed with what they think (90% certain) is the start of pancreatitis.

To cut a long story short, the tests have been going on for a few months now they thought it might be Cushings but now they think its definitely not. She's been in some obvious discomfort the last few days with her tummy (we thought it was her skin meds Atopica causing it a few months back, so took her off them on vets advice and found it wasn't the problem) and isn't very interested in her food, along with other symptoms, drinking lots, hunched up, walking a bit stiffly (vet thinks tummy cramps) etc.
    On the whole, she is a little subdued but still very vocal and loves walks!

The vets told us he doesn't want to treat just yet, until bloods are back so for now to feed chicken + a carb as this is the only low fat option we can get down her (she won't touch Chappie meat, only the biscuits which aren't as low fat as the meat, doesn't touch potatoes or pasta and will just about cope with rice - she is very picky!).

Has anybody any experience? I'm just hoping we can get the results back quickly and get her on some treatment.
    K x
    <3R.I.P Grandma 13.1.1933 - 6.8.2010, loved, remembered, always<3
    R.I.P Tara; you were a dog in a million, love you x

www.uk-gsr.co.uk Always looking for new volunteers.....are you a GSD lover? Can you help us?

Default Re: Grumbling Pancreatitis in GSD

My friends GSD is doing very well on the chappie and no meds, she had a very bad case, so seems the fat free diet was enough, obs the meds will help stabalize it, if she is not keen on he chappie (I know it's not great) but IMO you cannot control a pancreatic dog better on any other food, anyways, just try and look for alternative low fat food and she what u can get her on, for now keep her on the chicken and rice and gradually mix it with new food.
    I have seen very good results (this is going to sound odd) with pancreatic problem dogs being fed pigs pancreas, it apparently works wonders.

Personally never had a dog with it but have known people who have had great success with pigs pancreas. You used to be able to buy it in a dried powdered form I think, but not sure if that would still be available with all the new EU rules, but definitely worth trying to see if you can get hold of some. I

Oh right that's interesting thanks guys
    Yes we will definitely be going down the Chappie route once we have the bloods back - if she doesn't like it, tough she will eat when she is hungry I suppose!
    she is such a fussy animal.
    Is the prognosis quite good? I've never come across it before and I think my mum is worrying a lot about her.
    K x

www.uk-gsr.co.uk Always looking for new volunteers.....are you a GSD lover? Can you help us?

Would this cause her to be quite subdued (almost depressed I'd say she has been lay down all day, not interested in playing (much to our Goldie's disgust) and very sleepy) and the limping? Vet cannot find anything wrong with her legs or back etc, and put it down to tummy cramps?
    I suppose it would be a bit like having bad period pains? I know I don't want to move when I have tummy cramps!
    Any ideas to cheer her up? It's heartbreaking seeing her so low.
    K x
    ETA must add she is happy to go for walks and have her treats but she is just not as alert and nosy as usual - she is normally frightened of missing anything and very rarely sleeps properly during the day!

Just backed

I did reply to a previous post on this but I now can't find it so I'll say again.NIL by mouth,no water ,no nothing for 6 hours.Starve for 24 hours,then introduce boiled white rice,nothing else,the dog may say no but you must perservere.Then steamed skinless chicken breasts can be added,I now cook the chicken and rice together.Feed at least twice daily,three times if you can.There is a thought that p'titis is caused by a grumbling infection,so add a course of antibiotics,also an anti spasm [gut]medication.Later on suitable dry food can be added to the diet but not for some time.I also now add a doggy vitamin tablewith this regime we have managed to keep our girl happy, most of the time for 4 years,yes she does have the occasional off time,so back we then go to the beginning again.It's also worth doing a full blood count,as sometimes there can be liver problems which need different treatment.

thanks Zippo - she did eat nothing for about 12 hours not for want of us trying!
    Vets just got back to us, deff pancreatitis, got 2 courses of antib's and some antacids just hoping this will do the trick and cheer her up
    she's eating boiled rice and chicken at the moment
    Kx

Just backed

Starve.no food,No treats for 24 hours.What were her Amalaze and Lypase Levels?

Quote Originally Posted by zippo View Post
    Starve.no food,No treats for 24 hours.What were her Amalaze and Lypase Levels?
    Not sure; we were at the vets on Thursday (she starved that day) for blood tests and the vet rang yesterday; it wasn't me that spoke to the vet when he rang with the results - she has been prescribed ranitidine, metronidazole and amoxyvet (I think!) and is due back in 3 weeks.
    She seems a bit more alert today, still not very interested in eating (she kept wandering back to her food), has vomited this AM too but isn't as hunched in posture.
    K x

Just backed

I would ask the vet to consider changing the antibiotic to Baytril and add an anti spasmodic,Buscopan to the mix.She will be very sore and guarded for some time,creeping around,hunched up.You could also add pain relief for a few days.