Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking People say horse riding is a minority sport

Now this doesn't seem like a minority sport to me:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...php?aid=307173

That or we are very loyal followers.

Default Re: People say horse riding is a minority sport

Uggh, It's horrible. All thats on the tv is football,rugby and gold, and a few others.

Considering the amount of riders there is in the country (which seems to me as if it's roughly the same as the amount that play golf, if not rugby), I feel that there should be more equestrianism on the tv?

For example, last year Team GB won WEG gold, but there wasn't a mention of it on the tv. If that was England winning the world cup however...

don't have very many horsey friends where i live atm and they are always trying to say that not many people ride there aren't that many horses! my flat mates were very confused about badminton and how it involved horses and not rackets but they got quite into it and commented how it was much better it was then watching football and much more impressive! IMO far more chance of us doing well in equestrian events than football deluded if you think otherwise
    Last edited by ClobellsandBaubles; 27-04-11 at 08:00 PM.

I was extremely gutted about the amount of coverage the WEG got! We did amazing as a nation. I would hate for such an amazing sport to die out. But the fact that only 5 sports have totally sold out and xc is one says a lot imo.

My ex hated anything horsey (that's why he is the ex) but loved watching Hickstead, Badminton and Puissance because I think they were interesting.

Horse riding is 20 times more dangerous than motorbiking, and thought to be the third most dangerous sport in the world! People think it's so easy and that all the rider does is sit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowx View Post
    Horse riding is 20 times more dangerous than motorbiking, and thought to be the third most dangerous sport in the world! People think it's so easy and that all the rider does is sit there.
    We as riders should be taking it as a compliment that we make it look easy.

Veteran

It might be due to the area i live in but i see so many riders and know of so many. If someone i know isn't a rider them selves then a partner/family member etc is, i wouldn't say it is a minority sport anymore.

That said the sports that have sold out could be sports with less number of tickets for sale...i don't know this just saying!!

Quote Originally Posted by Willowx View Post
    My doctor also told me it wasn't exercise! She should have been in the fast and furious group lesson I watched on Sunday. Six fit adults, all excellent riders, red and sweating! (horses were puffing a bit, too! )

Just sitting there?! Pah!

"Civility costs nothing and buys everything."
    Mary Worley Montagu

Veteran

I think it still is - take for example work places or schools and ask how many people can ride or watch equestrian sport compared to how many can play football or watch football or rugby and the numbers are much less.

I am the only person at my work out of over 100 that has a horse but loads of them go running, cycle or play or watch football.

Cross country day might be a sell out put it might be because a larger percentage of people interested in eventing want to come to watch than say the percentage who are interested in football. Also being an outdoors event where you can walk about and have a picnic might make it appealing to non horsey people compared to having to sit in the same seat throughout.

Maybe if we were't continually pushed into the traffic by the walkers,cycists and off road traffic there might be more people able to ride
    All equines are the same, God just trimmed the ears on the dumb ones