Default bridle size question

i might seem like a silly question to ask but i have not long bought a 14hh trotter horse and i have got a pony bridle but i was wondering if a cob bridle would fit him better as he does not seem very keen to have the bridle put on
    is there anywhere that tells you what size bridles are for what size horse ?
    thanks guys

Default Re: bridle size question

Trial and error.

You need to look at the fit all round - can you get two fingers in everywhere except the throat lash that should take four.

There is no hard and fast rule - I would have thought he would need a cob size - but my 'cob' takes a full bridle with an extra full noseband!

Cobs can do classical dressage! I'm in training with mine.

thanks for your reply,i think i will get a cob bridle to try

Old nag

^^^^This.
    If your bridle is on the 2nd last/last hole of each strap, it is too small. If it seems to fit ok but the horse is reluctant to bridle, check your browband carefully. If it is too short it will rub the base of the ears and be very uncomfortable. You can often by separate browbands, without the need to buy a whole new bridle.
    If all the leatherwork seems to fit, check the bit - there are several websites which explain how to fit a bit. If it fits, consider if it is the right bit for your horse. Your dentist is a good person to ask about your horse's mouth conformation and which bit would be most suitable.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Yes, cob would be a better size for a 14 hh trotter.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by **Vanner** View Post
    There is no hard and fast rule - I would have thought he would need a cob size - but my 'cob' takes a full bridle with an extra full noseband!
    And mine takes a Warm Blood sized bridle! Elephant head!