Default Horse and Nasal spray

I have read previously that some of you have horses with hayfever and you use human nasal spray on your horses, mine is suffering at the moment, head tossing, runny nose runny eyes and glands have swollen a tiny bit, he just wants to rub his nose on everything! I have bought Beconase, would that be ok? Any other tips and ideas would be fantastic!

Thank you all x

Default Re: Horse and Nasal spray

You can get Nostrilvet on Ebay for a good price. It is made for horses so probably better than the human stuff as how do you know what dose to give a horse?

Thanks to sj_superstars for my signature

Brill thanks I shall invest in some!!

As long as you aren't competing in an affiliated event I use Vicks (or a supermarket equivilent). Smear it around the nostril, helps clear the passages as it does in humans.

Schoolmaster

Im not sure how effective a nasal spray would be in horses. The nasal tract is so long, you aren`t likely to get it any further than a couple of cm`s up the nostril. Speak to your vet about an oral antihistamine. It might be a better option.

Veteran

I would see what your vet suggests you to use- as there may be a big difference in the strength and dosage required for a horse, compared to a human!

Hope you can get it sorted- lots of horses seem to be suffering at the mo with pollen allergies, i am too!

I use beconase spray - a couple of squirts up inside each nostril sets my headshaker up for the day. If you do a test with the sprayer it actually squirts quite a long way..

Some horses may not accept it as easily as mine though - she actually lets me adminster it in the field without a headcollar on!

Thank you everyone! I have been using beconase as a sub at the moment before getting any others, he's fine with it and it is actually working, also putting a little honey in his supper to try help a little.