Default Best 4x4 for towing?

My trusty old discovery died last year and I had a wee accident, so was out of action for a while. I now need to get back into showing and have a great trailer, but nowt to tow it? What do you guys recommend?? I was considering an old defender as I've always had Landies, but even old ones are quiet expensive....

Ideas please, trailer is a Rice B60 so big and travel a 16.2 chunky monkey......
    Pocket xxxx
    LOVE IS A WELSH COB AND A HUNTER, JACK OF ALL TRADES AND MASTER OF NONE!!!!

Sport horse

Default Re: Best 4x4 for towing?

Personally, I like Jeeps (Cherokee model) - they are relatively cheap and overall good towing machines, although not fancy. NOT Wranglers, not big enough. I tow a Wessex Clubman and my Cherokee Sport 2.4 L It will tow 2400kg - the trailer is around 1100kg, plus two horses of about 1100kg and I still have 200kg for tack, etc.
    When shopping, do look for the towing capacity in the technical specification for the model - do not take a car dealer or seller's word for it. Around half of the 4 x 4 s out there do not have the capacity to tow horse trailers.

Good luck shopping!

Yearling

Jeeps are great, but you cant go wrong with a Defender, they will tow anything and go anywhere

I found this yesterdy as I wnt to replce my Defender with something bit more gutsy..

http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/index.htm

Oh and this rticle is quite good I thought... http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horse...370/99403.html

Quells that myth people keep spouting about not towing with estates and saloons as it's all about weight legally speaking... some people do talk rubbish.
    Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

TOWING CLINIC
    = http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=490195

Sport horse

Shogun, Shogun, Shogun ! I towed 2 big horses with a LWB 19 year old Shogun for 4 years and it NEVER let me down. Great cars. Stupidly, I got rid of it and replaced it with a lorry money-pit Or a Disco, but my mate bought a 2001 TD5 model and had endless problems with it (to the tune of 5k of repairs over 2 years), so if you go for a Land Rover get it checked properly before you part with money.

I LOVE my old Toyota Landcruiser, very reliable, tows like a dream, you get tons of feed, shavings etc in the back, or lots of people as it has extra seats.

I love my Daihatsu Fourtrak for towing!
    My old girl is now 19yrs old and still finds it very easy to tow my 2 big lads in a very big old rice trailer no problem.
    And Daihatsu's are super reliable, they keep going for years! Alot of farmers use them for that reason