Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Resident irriot The Fuzzy Furry's Avatar

Default Re: building your own stable

Quote Originally Posted by tango'smum View Post
    lol... sounds lovely, but only want one, i only have the 1 pony...
    I currently have 2 Fuzzys.

However, I have 5 stables & a hay store (double stable width & depth) as I used to have a lot more horses/ponies.
    From last summer I use mine as follows:
    2 boxes are used for day to day tieing up for grooming, rug changing, feeding in etc.
    1 box is used for winter stabling if weather really bad as I have heavy duty rubber matting in it & its more snug in the cold weather.
    1 box is used for storage of spare fence posts & rails, used for hanging rugs & keeping creosote,fencing & hedging tools in.
    1 box is used by hubbie for his storage.
    Hay store is filled during summer with up to 200 bales, empties out over winter as I sell up to 50 & use the rest myself.

I used to reckon on each animal having a stable & requiring the same size again for its year round hay storage too.

See - you can fill as many as you can put up
    Growing old disgracefully.......VERY disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzzy Furry View Post
    I currently have 2 Fuzzys.

However, I have 5 stables & a hay store (double stable width & depth) as I used to have a lot more horses/ponies.
    From last summer I use mine as follows:
    2 boxes are used for day to day tieing up for grooming, rug changing, feeding in etc.
    1 box is used for winter stabling if weather really bad as I have heavy duty rubber matting in it & its more snug in the cold weather.
    1 box is used for storage of spare fence posts & rails, used for hanging rugs & keeping creosote,fencing & hedging tools in.
    1 box is used by hubbie for his storage.
    Hay store is filled during summer with up to 200 bales, empties out over winter as I sell up to 50 & use the rest myself.

I used to reckon on each animal having a stable & requiring the same size again for its year round hay storage too.

See - you can fill as many as you can put up
    he would fill the spare one with motor bikes lol...will order the hay to be delivered the day its built..so he can't..lol

Resident irriot The Fuzzy Furry's Avatar

he would fill the spare one with motor bikes lol...will order the hay to be delivered the day its built..so he can't..lol
    Mine has done exactly that

I'd go for 2 boxes, feed room & a large hay store if money no problem.
    1 box for you, 1 for possible companion/livery/extra purchase etc.

Oh, contrary to what you might get told, you can put wooden ones down onto either concrete or onto very level slabs (bedded in on sharp sand), they ought to be bolted down, but I have a block of 3 put up in 1986 which are still going strong & were put straight onto concrete & not bolted down. Been used by many pushy-shovy youngsters over the years.

Happy shopping
    Growing old disgracefully.......VERY disgracefully

I don't think that stables will come into the agricultural buildings catagory - they are usually harder to get planning for, certainly where I am. If I were you, I would build a barn-type structure that can be partitioned inside into several stables- you'd be able to move the partitions around to get the sizes you needed. The barn could have a stable type door that opens onto the field, so it acts as a shelter, and could be walked in and out of. It would also be easier to store hay/straw in a bigger building than several small stables, and one larger area could be much better if the pony ever had to stay in - it can walk around in there... When I did my AI, the horses were turned out in deep littered barns at night in small herds, and came into the stables during the day. It worked really well.

they said we can put up as many agricultral buildings as we want.. i hope this includes a stable... it might have to be blocks and wood...
    Stables don't count as agricultural buildings I'm afraid. You need separate planning consent for them

Also check the paddock you are planning to use for grazing does not need change of use. You can't take land out of agricultural production and use it for domestic grazing land without change of use under normal circumstances.

Check with a local land agent because it all gets ridiculously confusing not to mention expensive if some busy body decides to report you for not having the necessary permissions.

Veteran

Stables are not agricultural buildings, because horses are not classed as agricultural animals. You need to be careful what you build because the council will make you rip it down if it is the wrong thing.

great.... there is a stable in the yard but some bright spark has filled it with greenhouse glass and wont move it...., plus its not very big...the barn sounds a good idea...