Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: building your own stable

Quote Originally Posted by wench View Post
    Looking where you are - I would check if there are any particular type of building they wont let you put up if you are in a nice pretty spot.

Brick work is the best for stables, block work second, and wood last - depends what you can afford.
    its not that nice lol... its on the carrageway...... i was on bodmin moor till 6 months ago... i miss it...

Old nag

Bricks down here in Cornwall are very rare and there for work out very expensive..The local planners are very fussy about what materials they will let you use.I would of thought that it would have to be block,wood or Cornish stone.

Quote Originally Posted by rema View Post
    Bricks down here in Cornwall are very rare and there for work out very expensive..The local planners are very fussy about what materials they will let you use.I would of thought that it would have to be block,wood or Cornish stone.
    they said we can put up as many agricultral buildings as we want.. i hope this includes a stable... it might have to be blocks and wood...

Out to Pasture

Well if you intend to have concrete base, it will need to be approx 150mm thick, with about another 200-300mm of hardcore underneath it, well compacted, probably best in layers. The floor will need to be slightly sloping to allow effulent to drain out of one side - this would be cheaper than trying to put any form of drainage in. The slope wouldnt need to be much, but you would have to bear this in mind when constructing the building.

Out to Pasture

Do you mean brick are rare as in there are not many buildings that are made of brick?

Old nag

Do you mean brick are rare as in there are not many buildings that are made of brick?
    You could probably count on two hands the red brick buildings in Cornwall.

Out to Pasture

The amount of bricks you would need for a stable I would imagine builders merchant would deliver quite happily. Bricks arent always red!

Just backed

Right, if I were you I'd still construct more than one stale, in a block, meaning you have space indoors to tie-up/tack up, as well as a lockable tack area and somewhere to store hay. It also means if you wanted another horses or to take on a livery you'd be set up.

Ours is block based with wooden siding. It keeps it warm in winter, cool in summer, and it blends in with the surroundings nicely. We have stables with drainage, much nicer than the pee standing there over night, and a slightly dome shaped depression in the floor in the wash and tack areas, so water/much can go straight down the drain there too.

Old nag

The amount of bricks you would need for a stable I would imagine builders merchant would deliver quite happily. Bricks arent always red!
    True,but you dont see many grey bricks either lolol.

Out to Pasture

they come in cream to...