Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default building your own stable

whats the cheapest way? blocks or wood? my partner is in the building trade so could possibly get stuff cheap.. how big should it be, its for a 12,3hh pony...i was thinking 12x12....what sort of floor. i was thinking just leave it as solid ground...

Just backed

Default Re: building your own stable

Firstly, I'm pretty sure permanent structures need planning permission, do you have this?
    12x12 is a good height, personally I prefer a little larger and make sure there is plenty of height clearance in case he rears etc, plus this makes it more inviting.
    What do you mean by 'solid ground'?

Old nag

I guess the biggest question is do you have planning for fixed stables?.If you do then blocks would be better.If it's blocks then you will need a concrete base for the stables to fix to,with some sort of drainage.Some people do half and half.They block upto 5 foot then wood upto eaves.

Quote Originally Posted by -Cadence- View Post
    Firstly, I'm pretty sure permanent structures need planning permission, do you have this?
    12x12 is a good height, personally I prefer a little larger and make sure there is plenty of height clearance in case he rears etc, plus this makes it more inviting.
    What do you mean by 'solid ground'?
    12x12 square, would be much higher... solid ground, it will either be build in field.. so would be a selter come stable if needed...

Out to Pasture

solid ground - you mean you will not be putting a concrete hardstanding down?

Quote Originally Posted by rema View Post
    I guess the biggest question is do you have planning for fixed stables?.If you do then blocks would be better.If it's blocks then you will need a concrete base for the stables to fix to,with some sort of drainage.Some people do half and half.They block upto 5 foot then wood upto eaves.

we can have as many bulidings as we want, but will have to apply..

If I had the choice I would definately build 2 or 3 wooden stables (warmer) with a very slight sloping concrete floor & tack room all kitted out with wc and kitchen area. Stables would be at least 12 x 12 or 12 x 14 and make sure its built facing away from the prevailing wind. Would have concrete apron with post & rail fence around with 5-bar gate leading out to paddocks.....I can dream can't I? Arrrrh I wish!

Quote Originally Posted by wench View Post
    solid ground - you mean you will not be putting a concrete hardstanding down?
    no had a rethink, will have to be concrete..will be in the field, if i was to put it where the old carrage house was then it would of been a cobbled floor...

Quote Originally Posted by debsey1 View Post
    If I had the choice I would definately build 2 or 3 wooden stables (warmer) with a very slight sloping concrete floor & tack room all kitted out with wc and kitchen area. Stables would be at least 12 x 12 or 12 x 14 and make sure its built facing away from the prevailing wind. Would have concrete apron with post & rail fence around with 5-bar gate leading out to paddocks.....I can dream can't I? Arrrrh I wish!

lol... sounds lovely, but only want one, i only have the 1 pony...

Out to Pasture

Looking where you are - I would check if there are any particular type of building they wont let you put up if you are in a nice pretty spot.

Brick work is the best for stables, block work second, and wood last - depends what you can afford.