Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default saddlers - south west

Due to dressage saddle being a total no no and jump saddle far from ideal and being in the rare position to actually sort them out I would like some recommendations please!

I'm fairly certain will end up getting Nathaniel out but any other recommendations for saddlers who would come out to the north Devon area with a selection of saddles to try including pref jefferies?

Malteaser bunnies to those with good suggestions Thankies
    I'm not Strange I'm Unique!
    http://www.katiemortimore.com
    http://www.gingestravels.co.uk

owwwww errr ma luver the Devonshire clique i be in....

Default Re: saddlers - south west

karen at leonard coombs doesnt have to bad a rep, ive used her and she certiannly takes her time measuring etc. and seeign the horse move with and without a rider/saddle then with a saddle/rider.

they do also have a good stock of saddles, if you go into the shop you can ask that certain saddles are brought to you

BUT having seen Nathaniel work id proberley go with him.

Nathanial only deals in his own new saddles now, but that said is excellent. I had Julia Garrett out recently for the bog pony (whose status does not run to new saddles!) and she was great - huge selection, and PXd my old saddle for sensible money. She has a massive selection of second hand stuff.

Old nag

I really like Julia - have known her for years and is sensible. I had a good experience with Nat but bare in mind his saddles are ideals just with an updated badge

Realistically you are an experienced horse person and so will know what fits your horse and so basically you are looking for someone to confirm this and maybe make some tweaks.

basically LEC yes but need them to have a nice selection to come to me as she isn't the easiest shape to fit to and is very opinionated if saddle is even slightly off and with transport restrictions its easiest for them to come out rather than me to them.

Have any of you got Julia's details? Not heard of her but sounds potentially ideal and PX (for current saddles) would be appreciated to lessen the dent to my wallet ha ha

Who ever I get out though will prob also see another horse on yard. And lets just say the current saddle (purchased from and fitted by a master saddler) is an utter joke in terms of fit for the horse and rider. So again Julia sounds a good sensible option.

Old nag

WES Garretts, Back Lane, Draycott, Nr cheddar, Somerset. BS27 3TH Tel: 01934 742367

Cheers

Sport horse

I have a friend (South Wilts) who is a Master Saddler who can make you a Made to Measure Saddle for 1000. I've seen a few that she has made recently and they are stunning. Made to Measure isnt as expensive as you would think. Can give you her details if you like.

Nathaniel does have quite a few secondhand saddles. I took my new boy to him about a month ago and we tried secondhand first. Typically i ended up with a brand new one!!!
    Im not sure if he will bring the secondhand ones out to fit or will only fit them if you go to him but might be worth an ask.
    I dont use anyone else now. He knows me and my horses and what we like and i have never had a problem with any saddles of his.
    Hope you get something sorted.

Sorry but I had a very bad experience with Nathaniel Underwood. After listening to his opinion he had a new saddle made for me, by ideal, just like a jessica but twice the price. However unfortunately I found the new saddle was crooked. I sent it back to him for review and fix. He said it was fixed but when it came back it the problem was the same.
    I am on a professional yard and we tried the saddle on different horses and with different professional riders but always came back with the same problem. Nathaniel refused to acknowledge this and was very unpleasant. He refused to do anything about it.

In the end I had to go back to Ideal directly after paying another saddler for professional opinion to get support. Ideal were very helpful and a pleasure to deal with and agreed there was a problem with the saddle. They rebuilt it and now it is fine.
    I would recommend you keep your wits about you when dealing with NU.
    I know I am not the only one to have this experience.