Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Question Best Sheepskin Saddle Pads - Your Opinions Please

Which saddle pads on the market are the best?

Im looking for a half lined saddle square, with gullet free

I currently have 2 x Roma Merino sheepskin, which are lovely, however, since being washed a few times the skin on the sheepskin has gone stiff so im looking for saddle squares which only have the wool and not the sheepskin backing.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Best Sheepskin Saddle Pads - Your Opinions Please

Hmmmm... I use Griffin Nuumed ones that I buy off an eBay seller who is very reasonably priced (top-results?)

Here's how I care for mine - and they keep condition very nicely:
    1. Smear a little human hair conditioner over the woolly bits
    2. Wash on a quick 1/2 hour wash (cool) with Nuumed Nuuwash
    3. Put on radiator to dry

The sheepskin will go stiff and hard if you wash it unless you're really careful and use the correct chemicals!

The NuuMed ones are prob the ones you're looking for, as they've no skeepskin, just the wool.

Veteran

Airzonahoney - would you mind tellilng me who the e-bayer is who sells them please, as ive paypal money burning a hole in my pocket

Kallibear - did think i might have to get Nuumed as you say they have no skin just the wool, shame theyre so expensive but saddler has insisted nothing other than sheepskin on my boys sensitive back and i woudl rather spend the money and get one thats going to last.

Schoolmaster

I use premier equine ones http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acata...s_numnahs.html i find them very reasonable at 35.99 !

What does everyone use to wash theirs with then?

To be honest, while Nuumed numnahs are okay, they are no comparison in my opinion to the lambskin numnahs such as Mattes, Lemieux, Bartl and Christ Lamfelle. I have Lemieux and Nuumed and the Nuumed is much less dense and has a harsher feel to it.
    If your horse has been recommended sheepskin, then I would stick with a proper sheepskin not wool.
    Last edited by touchstone; 16-02-11 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling!

Veteran

NuuMed for me. They do make differing weights in wool so the more ounces the thicker the wool. Had mine for ages and they are as good as when I bought them.

My boy came with a Bartl one and from the pics i have of him it's at least 6/7 years old. I had his new saddle fitted with it (v important) and even my saddler remarked that they last well. It's slightly worn on the lower girth straps (ie leg area) but the newer ones are re-inforced there now. I'll be buying him a new one for the spring as it's a darn good investment for the years ahead and washes up fine.

Veteran

Isnt sheepskin the same as wool but with the backing still intact? or am i being really stupid

Old nag

My favourite is LeMieux. Superb quality and comes up like new after every wash. Well worth spending the extra money.