Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sport horse

Default Dangers of feeding high protein diets?

what are the dangers of feeding a lot of protein in a horses diet i have seen horses come up in lumps due to it, but what other things can happen, and can it casue problems like sweating for no reason, im worried about this as ive had horses tie up in the past

this is not my horse but i do ride it, its only in light work but the girl who cares for it is a proper know it all and the situation is complicated and i want to be able to present her with good facts before making her change the horses diet, without facts i dare say she will tell me where togo

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Dangers of feeding high protein diets?

Well many people will say that high protein will not make a horse tie up...however, I put my girly on alph a oil (v. high protein) and she promptly tied up for no reason!

Took her off it and she has been fine ever since (touch wood!)...

As tying up has to managed very carefully, I will not be taking that risk again...wether it actually was down to the protein, I don't actually know but was very coincidental!

Other things it is rumoured to cause it slightly manic behaviour ie: increased spooking etc...again, any food experts would say it definitely does not, but a leading equine nutritionist I know says it can indeed cause this. Interestingly, when my girl was on the alpha a oil, she also turned into a loon!

Sport horse

horse definately has no loopy behaviour some would actually be quite nice he is a total plod some times

he wees for england sweats up very easily and can be very tight in his quarters so i am very concered about hims tieing up as he is very much like my old mare was before she had her first attack, he is also rather fat so i want to change his diet but i cant just go to the girl your feeding him wrong i need to be able to give her reasons why she is feeding him wrong, she is a teenager, i know im only 20 but she is a typical teenage brat and thinks she knows it all, its a particulraly difficult situation becasue i only got the ride on this horse cause she got herself pregnant so she thinks she is the better rider and knows more than i do about horses and how to do things

Schoolmaster

Well very generally the higher the protein, the higher the energy...which is higher calories and therefore no good for a fat horse if they are not getting the required exercise...

Have a look at a few competition feeds v leisure feeds and you will see this...

How big is he, what breed is he, whats his currently workload like and how fat is he? Also whats he currently being fed?

I get your point and it seems you are doing this the right way...

Sport horse

he is connie cross six year old and keeps very well, in my opinion he is too fat, he doesnt have a gutter along his back or fat pads but is quite cresty, and you cant feel his ribs as easily as personally i would like

he is worked six times a week on the flat iwth one day a hack of about an hour, he probably only does about 30-45 mins work mixture between ridden exercise and long rein and in hand pole work, he is about 15.2

i dont exacalty know what he gets as i dont make his feeds or anything just ride him but he gets a black rubber feed skip full morning nd night and mssive nets so far too much for a hrose his type size and work load, he gets mainly alfa a and then a large quanitity of bran which is another hting i dont think he should be getting fed and then some sort of mix i think its just a feed merchants mix its very sticky so highly molassed

Old nag

Protein is made up of amino acids which the body uses to build and repair muscle. Any more than the horse needs is a waste as the system has to remove them and deaminate them. The surplus Nitrogen from the amine part of the aminoacid is excreted by the kidney in the urine. Too much protein puts an unnecessary strain on the kidneys and liver. Remember however that it is the overall protein content of the entire diet (and the quality of protein)that is important,not just a particular ingredient.
    On the subject of protein quality ,there are somthing like 24 different amino acids,some the body can manufacture from others ,some it cant. In a given protein in the body ,the aminoacid chains are in a specific sequence. If one particular aminoacid is in short supply the chain cannot be built. You can have a situation where the horse is recieving lots of protein (and eliminating a lot from the body and yet is deficient . This is most often seen in hair and hoof quality. Here ,these proteins contain high levels of methionine and cytosine (hope I remembered this correctl)which are often deficient in feedstuffs.
    Feed manufacturers spend a lot of time and (your)money trying to get this right. Then all too often the horse owner completely disregards this and starts adding other stuff,unballancing the carefully designed diet.

Old nag

There was a thread on here the other day about the effects of feeding a diet too high in alfa, that may be of interest/use to you.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...74#post9318074

The main symptom of too much protein is excessive and/or strong ammonia scented urination.

Aparently, "a horse that consumes too much protein will be at an even greater risk of contracting diseases and be predisposed to other symptoms such as hypothyroidism, tying up, kidney problems, and arthritis to name a few."

For info on excess protein, look here. Very informative: http://www.womenandhorses.com/protein20050517.html
    Last edited by Spyda; 17-01-11 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royal View Post
    Well many people will say that high protein will not make a horse tie up...however, I put my girly on alph a oil (v. high protein) and she promptly tied up for no reason!

Took her off it and she has been fine ever since (touch wood!)...

As tying up has to managed very carefully, I will not be taking that risk again...wether it actually was down to the protein, I don't actually know but was very coincidental!

Other things it is rumoured to cause it slightly manic behaviour ie: increased spooking etc...again, any food experts would say it definitely does not, but a leading equine nutritionist I know says it can indeed cause this. Interestingly, when my girl was on the alpha a oil, she also turned into a loon!
    One of ours started tying up after we were advised to put her on build up mix (high protein)

Nightmare which now is hopefully behind her. We have since had her on speedbeet and Alpha A Oil to keep her condition and it works great - we are just very careful how she is warmed up and cooled down.

We were advised to do this as apparently the Alpha A oil is low in protein.

http://www.dengie.com/pages/products...alfa-a-oil.php

ALFA-A OIL is the conditioning fibre feed for horses and ponies. The addition of oil makes this product excellent for promoting weight gain or fuelling hard work. As Alfa-A Oil is free from cereal grains it is ideal for over-excitable individuals or those prone to muscle problems

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by Spyda View Post
    The main symptom of too much protein is excessive and/or strong ammonia scented urination.

Aparently, "a horse that consumes too much protein will be at an even greater risk of contracting diseases and be predisposed to other symptoms such as hypothyroidism, tying up, kidney problems, and arthritis to name a few."

For info on excess protein, look here. Very informative: http://www.womenandhorses.com/protein20050517.html
    that was a very helpful article thanks kind of agrees a bit with what i was sort of thinking anyway, the other horse this girl looks after who is in virtually no work and is about 16 gets a similar diet to the one i ride but if you go in his stable it smells really strange almost like a swimming pool, a horse i used to look after had a similar smelling stable and my old boss said the horse had i think a kindney although could of been liver problem and thats why it smelt odd