Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sport horse

Default Boett or De meulenkamp?

Are Boetts really worth the extra, i have a shire so we are talking 200! Or are the reports of the De meulenkamp being just as good true?

Old nag

Default Re: Boett or De meulenkamp?

I think if I was coughing out for an expensive one, I'd go snuggy hoods, so that I could get the new sheath cover

Sport horse

Thanks Jen_Cots, had thought about that due to hte sheath cover but not sure about the rug itself, you hear good and bad reports about them all but therseems to me to be more bad for the snuggy hoods; slipping / rubbing / horses getting out of them entirley! the light colour of the snuggy hoods one always apealed to me too as i thought they maybe cooler than the boett but then the material is heavier. i have had 2 boetts before for a pony i have now sold but they were both bought second hand, they were always good though. you never see them second hand that big though!

Sport horse

I used Boetts for years on my cobs but found I had to replace them each year and was always sewing !. The last couple of years I have been using the Rambo sweet itch hoodies. they are much tougher and seem to keep the boys cooler. They are around half the price of the Boetts too.

I have used Snuggyhoods for about 7/8 years and have never had one slip. I know several people with them also never had a problem. I know one mare with the full body, again no issues.

I would go for a snuggy over a Boet (don't know other make) as the Boet material is very fine and rips incredibly easily! The mare I know had one before the snuggy and they ended up putting a course fly sheet over the top of it to protect the rug!

I have used both Boett and De meulenkamp rugs. They are both exactly the same except the De meulenkamp is alot cheaper on your purse! They were both hard wearing, even with a very playful yearling colt hanging off it

ETA I had them on my 2 Welsh D's, both have huge chests and shoulders, they didn't move or rub. I have also tried a Rambo fly rug on one cob. The hood kept slipping down tightly around neck, it rubbed his mane badly because of this. I gave up and went back to the De meulenkamp rugs.
    Last edited by sunshine19; 11-01-11 at 04:29 PM.

Veteran

Hi. I have never had a Boett rug but I do have the De meulenkamp rug and have been pleased with it. I also have a Pagony rug as a spare for when I wash the other one. It states on the website that the Pagong is not as hard wearing but I haven't had any problems. Hope this helps.

Sport horse

Thanks for all the replies! i know it's all a matter of opinion but great help thanks

Schoolmaster

Having used both its Boett every time for me. Don`t like the way the Dr Wotsit ones pull back on the shoulders.

Veteran

DMs are excellent, another person on my yard has a Boett but it doesn't seem any better & is more fiddly to fit. My DMs do look a little tight on the shoulders (it's on a big ID with a huge front) but I've never had a problem with rubbing & I've used them for years.

Pagonys are a good spare rug but you won't get one big enough to fit a Shire - I spoke to Solva who said they would send me one to try if I wanted but they were certain it wouldn't fit.