Default Ovarian Cyst - What are the Symptoms?

As title.

Interested in what symptoms a horse would show if it had an ovarian cyst.

"After the light, comes the dark; After the love, comes the breaking of my heart."

Default Re: Ovarian Cyst - What are the Symptoms?

I loaned a mare with one- I didnt know she had one when I started the trial. She had been classed as unrideable on the Project horses website - I took her on under the basis that it was for a 6 month trial. She arrived late september and the first time I tried to ride she threw me off (no suprise) so I left her for a month just for bonding etc and started worth mid to late November- she was fine! Hacked her out alone or in company, schooled her etc- the one thing I did notice is she hated to be 'kicked' to be asked to move on- she liked to be 'clucked' - we competed and she did really well- then come end Feb she started bucking and spooking a lot, and being generally unco-operative when ridden. She bucked me off and I shattered my foot- while in hospital mum had some tests done and they found that her hormone levels were 'unusual' and the sysmptoms of periodic bucking etc were pointing to an ovarian cyst. Her tack was checked and back as well as teeth (way back in Sept when I first got her) I sent her back to her owner as at that point they couldnt guarantee i'd even be able to walk again - she then threw her old owner off a few weeks later and broke her elbow.....I never did see what happened to her. But her symptoms were periodic bucking, and spooking for a week at a time but only during the warmer seasons (she was fine Nov -Mid Feb) but throughout the year she hated being 'kicked-on' round the girth - and would only respond vocally to moving on. I cant remember the specific hormonal results- but they did point to a ovarian cyst. The were no other mares on the yard- only 5 oter gelding so I cannot comment on weather she was marish to other mares.

Thank you SB. Sorry to hear you and the owner were hurt.

I'm assuming it's cyclical in keeping with the mare's seasons.

"After the light, comes the dark; After the love, comes the breaking of my heart."

Sorry didn't have time to type whole story again so have copied & pasted my reply to another thread This mare was highly unpredictable & would be fine one minute & flip the next (although I didn't know this until AFTER I had been hurt). I should have smelled a rat when the owner wouldn't ride her but stupidly I didn't until it was too late!!

Severed Ear & perforated ear drum & badly fractured skull which all required surgery!! Happened whilst mounting a mare (with an undiagnosed ovarian cyst). She went ballistic just as I had put my leg over her to sit down, she bolted resulting in me being thrown onto her rump.

She bucked & bucked until I fell off, she then turned & literally with teeth bared & ears back attacked me whilst I lay on the ground!!

My hat eventually shattered after repeatedly being kicked in the head. Part of the hat sliced my ear clean off.

At first I couldn't remember what happened & the hospital got social services involved as they were convinced that someone, possibly my Dad had cut it off with a knife as it was such a clean cut.

Luckily my Dad got the all clear when they shaved my head in preparation for surgery & there for everyone to see was a perfect hoof shape in my skull!!

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMozart View Post
    As title.

Interested in what symptoms a horse would show if it had an ovarian cyst.
    Anyone's guess - as mares don't get ovarian cysts! They DO get uterine cysts which are normally just a nuisance at pregnancy scanning time, although a lot of big ones can make a mare difficult to get in foal.

Where there is an enlarged ovary, there are several possible causes. One is a haemorrhagic follicle - it doesn't ovulate - it just sits there and gets bigger! They can be painful - and some mares will get them on almost every cycle (due to a hormonal deficit.) Most likely to cause reluctance to go forward under saddle, and possibly buckiung or rearing on mounting dependingf on how big/painful it is.

The other possibility is an ovarian tumour - in particular a Granulosa Theca Cell tumour. This sort of tumour is the most common of the ovarian tumours - and is benign - BUT it does produce testosterone so can lead to some VERY undesirable behaviours including mounting mares, attacking geldings (and people) etc. etc.
    Who cares about the treatment of horses and ponies at sub-standard markets - and works to improve conditions? Who manages a well-run sanctuary caring for some of those who fall through the net? Who spends EVERY penny you donate on caring for needy horses and ponies? Equine Market Watch, that's who!

http://www.justgiving.com/EMWAppeal2014 - every little bit helps!!

Thank you JG And thank you for the correction . I've done some reading and am pleased to report that GM isn't showing any of the signs of a Granulosa Theca Cell tumour

We have narrowed her whappiness down to the sugarbeet! So that's on its way out. *now researching sugarbeet and all its variants!*

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMozart View Post
    Thank you JG And thank you for the correction . I've done some reading and am pleased to report that GM isn't showing any of the signs of a Granulosa Theca Cell tumour

We have narrowed her whappiness down to the sugarbeet! So that's on its way out. *now researching sugarbeet and all its variants!*
    Gracie had the granulosa tumor and she hasn't been aggressive or stallionish to other mares, she has, however, become reluctant to jump and generally moody, inconsistent in her work and a tiny bit wappy.
    The basic scan can be used to diagnose and a blood test to confirm, it's a simple procedure and worth doing to rule the tumour out.
    Gracie had the ovary removed in a fairly straightforward procedure and is back to her old self.

Sport horse

I had a mare with polycystic ovaries, her cycles didnt work quite right so where as a normal cycle would involve one folicle becoming dominant and ovulating she didnt instead they would all more or less develop at the same kind of time but never get to the size where she would ovulate, she became massively uncomfortable and quite aggressive and stallion like at times, she also started growing a massive crest and some unusual muslcing over her ovary area

she at first was treated with regumate which helped for a little while but in the end she was spayed afterwards she was much much sweeter to deal with but still quirky

GM has been totally whappy under saddle, though fine and loving everywhere else. It has been getting worse. Owner (who is our instructor) came yesterday and had D1 ride through it, which was interesting. GM isn't being nasty per se, just ridiculously full of it. We've cut the sugarbeet down/out and will see how she goes over the coming week or two. She's a horse that likes to work and gets quite into it, so we'll now be working her six out of seven days (weather permitting!!).