Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dually, 'be-nice' or something else?

Hi guys

Had an interesting experience with my boy today. He's 4 and generally very sweet natured, but can be quite bolshy which is something we've been working on with groundwork etc. He's usually well-behaved these days when you're leading him about the yard.

Today I went up to get my boy and he allowed me to catch him fine. We started back across the field and there the problems began. It started with trying to bite at the lead rope, then bite at the hand which he promptly got scolded for. This naughtyness built up to doing small rears, spinning, leaping around and eventually pulling the rope from my hand and running off with me.

I refused to give up with him, and eventually we did manage to get down the field with my hand on the back of the nose band, pretty much twisting it uncomfortably whenever he started it and lots of praise when he was behaving. I'm not entirely sure he gave into behaving, however, as there is a road that runs parallel to my field and as he walked down in a reasonable manner a pony from his field was being lead back up this road (returning from a hack). So he may have been following it down.

He wasn't vicious in his activities by any means, nor frightened. It was basically 'I don't want to leave my friends so I'm not going to'. It's not the first time he's shown a willful streak of this kind of nature, but this behaviour in the field was new.

So now I want to get something I can use as a headcollar that offers more control should this happen again.

The dually headcollar has been suggested to me, and I've seen the 'be-nice' online. Any opinions of these items/thoughts on what might work would be greatly appreciated!

Veteran

Default Re: Dually, 'be-nice' or something else?

The be nice one should be your last result as that one has the most poll pressure on a horse, a dually is kinder to try first. I use the richard maxwell pressure lead rope headcollar as i needed more control of my mare who would always bolt in-hand every time she was led it works for me most of the time and she respects it. To travel her in i have brought her a be nice one as i need that little bit more pressure on her - she is fine to travel just the loading thats issue but with this on she is fine no issues at all.

I swear by the 'be nice halters', how much pressure is applied is all dependant on whose hands are holding the horse. I've recently had to get one for my yearling (turing 2 year old) who is big, and getting bolshy, he accidentally put me in hospital through 'playful' behaviour, I got the halter and haven't looked back, he leads most of the time with no pressure on it at all, but if he misbehaves the pressure it applies gives me the control I need and he respects it. I've also been advised to try a stallion chain over the nose on a normal leather headcollar. This this is another option you could try.

Something else - horsemanship

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by better half View Post
    Something else - horsemanship
    Yep.

Veteran

monty roberts as easy to put on and my 5yr old repects it esp with loading

With out meaning to sound rude. ' My horse respects the Be-Nice' I would rather work on getting my horse to respect me. I would take a carrot with me rather than a pressure halter, just to appreciate him leaving his friends.

If you tell him of for biting it will only makes things worse in that situation. Build respect and attention when you can don't loose it by starting a fight you won't win.

i have heard good things about the intelligent horsemanship (kelly marks/monty) who sell the duallys at decent price. I havent ventured in buying one yet, my big one decides to trot around me and have little prances, little rear (did it twice, the second time to check what had happened to him).
    I have found nto to lead with a tight hold on the leadrope and not under the chin - this cause him to feel pressure and natural instinct is to move away from pressure, so i hold him fairly losely, The time he reared i pulled him back down (im quite small myself) and shouted at him him so loudly that he looked at me as if to say shitealight! Then i talked to him quietly, then he tried it again and got the same treatment a big mouth and a loud shout. He hasnt done it since.

I dont feed mine titbits - they come to call and they get groomed, loved, kissed cuddled and a rub between the eyes. They love that more than a carrot - plus it discourages biting. I want them to come because they want to be with me not because they know food will be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post

I dont feed mine titbits - they come to call and they get groomed, loved, kissed cuddled and a rub between the eyes. They love that more than a carrot - plus it discourages biting. I want them to come because they want to be with me not because they know food will be given.
    I do agree that horse are not motivated with food as a reward for most training problems, but if it's not working and you need something extra I would try a carrot not a Be-Nice, then learn a bit more about how to improve the balance.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by better half View Post
    With out meaning to sound rude. ' My horse respects the Be-Nice' I would rather work on getting my horse to respect me. I would take a carrot with me rather than a pressure halter, just to appreciate him leaving his friends.

If you tell him of for biting it will only makes things worse in that situation. Build respect and attention when you can don't loose it by starting a fight you won't win.
    Guessing that was aimed at what i said. Ok so background before anyone else jumps on what i said. Mare in question would bolt off in-hand every day. Bolt out of stable, going to field, coming in. When i got her pressure headcollar used it to do groundwork with her, also got Richard Maxwell out to work with her last year when she started to play up again.

Bit hard to get a horse to respect you when they have no trust in people and have been passed around so many times! And yes she now trusts me enough to do things like inject her which she hates. As for using food to bring her in she attacked people so i think combining food with the issue would be dangerous all around somehow. Since she has had pressure headcollar she has improved tenfold. Oh and she was used at a kelly marks demo and would not do what kelly asked her to do like backup yet did it straight away for me so i would say she has respect for me. She no longer attacks people but has taken a long time to stop her and in all time ive had her she never attacked me for just being near her.