Sport horse

Default Robinsons EVA mats

My samples from robinsons and easimat have arrived!

They look very similar, the easimat is slightly thicker, and looks a little bit more sturdy. The robinsons sample has warped, so that it curls up slightly at the corners and is bowed in the middle section. The robinsons mats are about 10 cheaper /mat, and other than bowing appear the virtually the same, although there's a difference of 5 years warranty between the mats.

It is only a really small piece of sample about 20 cm x 10cm. Have any of you that have had robinsons mats found them to warp, or go up in the corners? I'm not sure if it's done this due to it being a small sample. I thought of ringing them to check that this won't happen but figured they would tell me that they don't warp, even if they do, just to sell the things.

I could see it being a problem if they do warp, as knowing how lazy Ted is with his feet he would trip over.Ted also shoes on, and when he eats his dinner he occasionally paws the ground but fairly gently, would this destroy the mats?

Just backed

Default Re: Robinsons EVA mats

I have had my mats for the best part of a year and have not found them to warp, one has very slightly squished in the corner but if I had them all over the stable i dont think this would of happened. Having said that I do not have them all over the stable but they do not move either

Veteran

I have the 34mm mats from Robinsons and they are flat when they arrive. They are very lightweight which is good for cleaning/moving/cutting (you can use an ordinary kitchen knife).

They did warp when I wasnt using them for about a month and had they lying against a wall - they sort of bowed in the middle and the ends came up. They havent really gone again, after being used for about 5 months, but then all non-rubber mats seem to do this (equimats are worse I think).

They do get scuffed if horse paws with shoes on - I have some that are about 4.5 yrs old, and they are about half the thickness of the newer ones. If you fit them tightly, they will not come up (despite being lightweight) and give a good cushioning.

Old nag

Just spotted this post and had a look at them on the Robinsons website. How does EVA differ from rubber mats? It looks as though the EVA is thicker and softer than rubber, on their website.

This is probably stupid question but do you just use them as normal mats?

Sport horse

The EVA is a lot, lot lighter than rubber. The sample I have barely weighs anything. I have a couple of rubber mats and they are really, really heavy and cumbersome to move around. It's not much fun either when they are covered in horse wee!

Robinsons EVA is about double the thickness of the thicker rubber mats that you can buy. From the samples I have, the EVA indents if you scratch it with your nails but doesn't tear or rip. It is also really easy to cut. The EVA samples that I have are quite comfy to stand on and EVA has much better insulation properties, it doesn't look as hard wearing as rubber though.

mine (Robinsons EVA ones) have curled up slightly, esp the ones in the field shelters that get the sun on them. I have re-trimmed a couple in the stables that spread or warped slightly.
    they've been down a few years and are very tough. I really like how thick and insulating they are.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell