Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Dressage vs jumping stirrup lengths

How much do you alter the length of your stirrups according to discipline? How much of an impact do you think it has? Was slightly shocked to discover my jumping length is 9 holes shorter than for dressage (same (Wow) saddle seat/pannels and stirrup bar position, just change flaps according to what I'm doing).

Kiri on the other hand only goes up about 5 or 6 holes but she is a 5'8 rider on a 14.1hh pony so struggles to go longer without the leg becoming ineffective....

So what about you? Do you think leg/thigh length has much impact?
    Every new beginning starts from another new beginning's end...

Default Re: Dressage vs jumping stirrup lengths

I ride 5 holes shorter for jumping. I have always jumped and only recently started doing more dressage so it is only recent that the need for longer legs has been mentioned to me!

I can't ride longer in my jumping saddle so until I got my albion dressage I competed at events in my pessoa for the D phase - still getting good marks, so as long as your leg is effective I don't think leg length matters.

I would say though that I can do a much better sitting trot in my dressage saddle than my jumping one as I sit deeper in it. the jump saddle is designed so you can get out of the seat. The first time I sat in the dressage saddle I rode 5 holes longer, so I potentially could go even longer if I work on it, but I think my legs like going in a jockey style!!

this is me doing dressage at jumping length

It was one of my horses first ever tests so not the best piccy. (and yes, I need to keep my thumbs up!)

I never alter my stirrups for any discipline, they're always just kept at #6 on my leathers

Usually on hole 7 for hacking and then 11 for SJ and 13 for XC and quick work they would be up a few more. They go down to hole 2 for dressage but that is on my other saddle!

Veteran

Have 54" leathers on my jumping saddle - hack on hole 7, sj on hole 11 and xc on 12 or 13.

60" on my dressage saddle and have them on hole 2.

So, pretty dramatic difference! I do ride both exceptionally short and exceptionally long.

ETA I'm 5'9 tall with a 34" inside leg, most of my height being in my thighs which I guess makes a difference. I have to have a very forward cut saddle with minimal knee rolls to be comfortable and able to keep my arse out of the saddle. I'd imagine people with shorter legs wouldn't have such extremes of length.

depends on horse and saddle. have been as much as 10 holes different between dr and xc length.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Old nag

With dr and jump saddles, I used to be 7 holes different. Now I do everything in my jump saddle, and have 3 holes difference I can't ride long in my jump saddle at all, and would much rather ride short to school on the flat than ride long and compromise my position cos the stirrup bars being more forward etc mean I loose lower leg stability when I am riding alot longer...

Veteran

I put mine down 2 on both horses, but i think i ride naturally short, my trainer says he never bothered altering unless it was for riding pointers !!!

IF riding in GP then stirrups go up 6 holes for jumping. Shorter in Jumping Saddle, and longer in dressage

if staying in a jumping saddle there isn't quite such a difference- when Mr.P was jumping BE Novice I changed about 5 holes from dressage to sj and then another 2 holes for xc (that was all in a Pessoa).

with different saddles i tend to have about 8-10 holes difference- Millie I xc with slightly longer than usual stirrups as she can be spooky and needs the leg wrapped around.

I am about 5'10ft though with most of my height in my legs so I need to fold them away a lot for jumping!