Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sport horse

Default How often do you worm/ deflea your dogs?

I was just pondering this as I don't stick to a particular schedule with mine which might be a bad thing but they are usually wormed and de-flea'd about 3 times a year.

I just did them this morning which got me thinking really about what other people do.

They were last done in July when I spied a tapeworm in my spangles poo. My dogs roam around the farm and eat the occasional unsavory half rotten body.

We usually in the spring worm everything together - sheep / cows/ horses / dogs and cats.

The vet had never really advised me on a proper worming programme for my dogs, but then I have never really asked. Is there a protocol to follow?

Old nag

Default Re: How often do you worm/ deflea your dogs?

Not at all as adults unless I actually see signs of parasites. **awaits flaming**
    I will be keeping a close eye on my male as he raided the cat litter tray the other night when I wasn't concentrating, filthy mutt!!!!
    I keep a very close eye on ablutions and skin/coat conditions as a matter of course anyway.

Just backed

My vet recommends 'advocate' for flea and worming every month, with proper 'drontal' worming at wider intervals. I have to say I really don't ever have a prob with fleas; we hoover so often as my OH has a house dust allergy and beds are regularly washed so house doesn't small of dogs.

I treat my two dogs once every 3 months (so 4x a year) for both and have never seen a flea or a worm.

I do always make sure I use the correct dosage by weighing the dogs though; it really winds me up when you see people give a whole syringe of wormer to a horse when a) it only needed half or b) it needs about another 150kg's worth as it is big!!!!!! But that's another topic entirely ;-)

worms - once a month - on vets advice - unfortunatly the cats catch rabbits then helpullfy eat the head and leave the rest for the dogs to eat we had got them on the normal worming routine but they were being sick with worms before the next recommended does - as vet says - i can worm them today and they'll prob be reinfected within a few days from eating crap

fleas - well - we use advantix as we're in a high deer population area with plenty of bracken and heather so they have that once a month too in summer to keep tics at bay - then over winter we don't worry too much unless we see a flea - cat has high viz flea collar on all the time to save it from being shot by keeper anyway

I use Advocate monthly for fleas and worms. Once a month we visit a household with endemic fleas (), I know that the farm dogs sporadically have fleas and/or worms and she eats many a dead thing. I've only ever found one flea on her and it was extremely drowsy.

Live a life less ordinary

Drontal and frontline every 2 months

I worm every three months with Drontal (as per latest vet recommendations) and de-flea if I should see one or if they have come out of kennels - my dogs do not, and never have, got fleas

Old nag

Worms and fleas every 3 months as a rule for the cats and the dogs (Drontal and Frontline).

Both the cats wear flea collars anyway and I change them when I remember so to be honest it may be once a year - not sure how much good they do but I sweeten it by telling them its a Christmas present.

At the moment we are having a flea battle so the dogs are being sprayed and washed weekly with Beophar - which seems to have worked after a months worth of stressing me out! My floors are being worn away by the hoovering thats been going on here! Its the first time we have actually had a flea issue in all the years of owning dogs (except for rescues which have come riddled with them) and I can only assume that they have come in from the farm walks we have been doing this summer.

This weekend its time to gauntlet up again and poke tablets down the cats throats...oh how we love that!
    Proud member of the Spaniel Owners' Support Group

Yey for the spangle massive!!

http://www.mediawebz.co.uk/emwuk.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by CareyR View Post
    I worm every three months with Drontal (as per latest vet recommendations) and de-flea if I should see one or if they have come out of kennels - my dogs do not, and never have, got fleas
    I have to wonder, are skinnydogs less 'viable' for fleas? Less meat and less fluff to live in!

Live a life less ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by blackcob View Post
    I have to wonder, are skinnydogs less 'viable' for fleas? Less meat and less fluff to live in!
    Quite seriously, I think they might be? I have had them for 23 years now and can count the number of fleas I have picked off them pretty much on the fingers of one hand (except when they have been in kennels ) it is amazing