Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Why are some farriers so unreliable?

My horse had laminitis in the summer, his toes where very long according to the vet x2 the length they should have been. So I had to change farriers, my horse was due to be shod last Tuesday but I had to cancel as he had to have a lump removed in his throat. I cancelled in advance and my farrier said to ring him Thursday of last week and he would do him Friday or Saturday, I rang left an answer phone message he didn't ring back. So Monday I sent a text asking him if he could do him any day this week after 12, got a text back just saying yes. So replied saying thanks and to tell me which day. Heard nothing up to this morning so have rang again and left a message. I hate pestering people but because of the problems with his feet don't want him left to long. Do you think I should maybe look for a new one? He was recommended by my vet, really don't know what to do. I won't be contacted him again.

Default Re: Why are some farriers so unreliable?

It seems to be a pretty widespread problem. I'm now on my fourth farrier and so far he has turned up reliably AND rung me to confirm which is amazing! I definitely wouldn't ring that farrier again- just look for another one. Like you I hate pestering people and it reaches a point where I just think 'well you obviously don't want my money so I won't bother.' I've made a huge effort with my new farrier to really lay it on thick how unreliable my other farriers have been and how desperate I am and how grateful I am that he shows up- so far it seems to be doing the trick. I think you should try the same tactic with your next farrier (there's nothing like a good bit of flattery!) and definitely emphasis the fact that your pony MUST have his feet done regularly because of his laminitis. Good luck in your quest

Schoolmaster

farriers are from another planet, they are really strange people from my experience! the word "customer service" is alien to them! Feel your pain hun

Sport horse

complain to the frc , if owners complained then the farriers would have to get their act together , you lot wanted us to be registered in the first place now you should use the system to get what you wanted , more control over farriers actions instead of putting them on a pedestal and crowing when they dont fall into line
    chris

My farrier always seems to remember when ours are due, so he will ring us up and tells us when he is in our area next and will come and do them for us
    **Once you think you know it all, give up because you will stop trying to learn**

Old nag

Some of them believe they are god and that they are doing you a favour for taking good money off of you to shoe your horse. Our farrier, and our trimmer, are both excellent. Reliable, professional, quick to respond in an emergency and so on.

I'd look round for someone else who will treat you as a valued client OP and not an inconvenience. Those texts and his non committal replies sound pig ignorant to be if I'm being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrador View Post
    complain to the frc , if owners complained then the farriers would have to get their act together , you lot wanted us to be registered in the first place now you should use the system to get what you wanted , more control over farriers actions instead of putting them on a pedestal and crowing when they dont fall into line
    chris
    It's not a matter of "crowing when they don't fall into line" He should at least have the courtesy to call me. I'm sure all my local farriers would be lining up to do my horses knowing I'd reported one of there fellow craftsman.

Heaven forbid I should ever be accused of sticking up for farriers, but I do at times feel for them. Not related to the OP post (it is always polite to ring back even if only to decline).

But in relation to the title - there are usually two sides to every coin.

So I have sympathy for farriers faced with:

- demands to keep the shoes on for as long as possible (this has bad consequences for everyone)
    - being judged on how fast/cheap your are, rather than foot health/outcomes (again bad consequences)
    - wet, muddy and/or badly behaved horses (which often don't appear to have had any foot tlc in between farrier visits)
    - owners not taking responsibility for foot health - but expecting the farrier to shoulder the blame when they only see the horse only every few weeks not every day

However owners that can
    - provide a clean/dry well behaved horse
    - somewhere safe to work (with lights when it is dark)
    - big mugs of tea/coffee (flask will do)
    - learn what constitutes a good hoof
    - appreciate that hooves need regular trimming regardless of the wear of the shoe (and don't wait for one to fall off before deciding that a farrier visit is due)
    - don't judge a farrier by price or speed

Might just get themselves the farrier (or trimmer) of their dreams

Good looks are not guaranteed........... :-)

They cost extra :-)

Wasn't going to post but have to say.
    Farriers are often only one man and if he gets vet recommendations he is a very good one and a very busy one.

Alot of his work may be remedial in which case they take an hour a horse and he only has 9 hours a day, less in winter. Working often 5 1/2 to 6 days a week. Of course in complex cases he may need to spend time in the forge creating custom shoes.

And before you do the sums and conclude he is earning 3240 pounds a week:
    nine hours does not mean nine horses, lets take out time for lunch (maccy D's usually) and random chatty women. So eight a day at 60 a horse. 480 pounds a day minus insurance, materials, medical bills (Black smithery is hard physical work) and thats assuming all are full sets with no young horses taking ages etc. On top of this when he goes to see his daughter at shows or pony club some cheeky cow always comes over wanting him to stick a shoe back on even if he goes to see the hunt off. And one kick a broken arm and he cant earn for six weeks.

Personally I know some farriers take the mick but most are just really busy people who are not that organised. And they love horses and are good men as shown on the PTS thread and in my experience are better at legs and lameness than the vets! Just look at what they have to know for their final exams.

I'm sorry I know its no fun waiting for a farrier and feeling in the dark but I have faith they are trying their hardest in most cases.

If it makes you feel better I used to work for one with two apprentices and it still took 6 weeks to get an appointment!!!

I know he is a very good farrier, but a reply either way would be good. He knows the problems with my horses feet and knows how anxious I am about them. I gave him the courtesy of cancelling my last appointment in good time so he could fit someone else in. A phone call or text would take a minute surely he can spare that.