Veteran

Default Slight swelling on pastern??...

Hi, my horse has a slight swelling on the back of his pastern ( where you would usually find mud fever etc) It doesn't go up or down, he is not lame and its not sore. There is no broken skin, just a soft swelling. Does any one have any idea what it might be? He is currently out 24/7 and I'm still working him lightly.

Default Re: Slight swelling on pastern??...

Is it just the one pastern?
    When my horse was lame last year he had some swelling in the back of the pastern which is the only thing the vet could find which would indicate were the lameness was. Xrays showed a chipped nav bone!!

Veteran

Yes it is just the one pastern, near hind. This leg has always also had larger windgalls than the other back leg? He is not lame tho?

One of the horses i care for has a swollen fetlock due to an annular ligament injury, he has had this for months and is just being rested but has been over compensating with his other legs and has swellings in various places now on his legs.

What type of work is he in?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie007 View Post
    Yes it is just the one pastern, near hind. This leg has always also had larger windgalls than the other back leg? He is not lame tho?
    Windgalls are a swelling of the digital sheath - a fluid filled sac that encloses the tendons on the back of the leg. The bottom of the sheath ends on the back of the pastern. (corresponds with the darker area on the back of the pastern and you see the windgall swelling above the fetlock here too!)

You mentioned that your horse has windgalls and they are bigger on this leg - I suspect this soft swelling you mention is the bottom of the tendon sheath filling up as well.

Imogen
    Imogen Burrows BVetMed MRCVS

Unhappy Re: Slight swelling on pastern??...

omg that is the exact swelling one of my horses has except it is on her near fore no lameness or heat had scannes done nothing showed. we also did a nerve block just to make sure no change in paces so we gave her a hydrocortizone injection it went down brilliently.

box rest for 2 weeks
    then restricted grazing for 2 weeks
    started walking exercise building up to small amount of trot over a month
    then normal turnout building up to normal work over the next month

then it randomly came back after i hacked out one day (and only in walk and trot) =(

so now i have a huge supply of bute and have decided to give her the rest of the winter off even though the vet said i could ride her. i just dont want to risk her i love her some much and feel so lucky to still have my first pony. which meens i will be hunting my nutty horse instead

any ideas what the swelling could be???? would love to know what is going on with my best buddy

LAser and ultrasound also help as does a course or cartophen :-)