Thread: Best girth

Default Best girth

Hi all

Need a bit of advice.

My 5 year old TBxWB had a bowen treatment today and one of the things noted was that she was sore around the muscles in her girth area.

There are no sores or anything there and she hasnt given me any signs that she is sore.

It was suggested that i change her girth.

I am currently using a leather girth with elastic at one end. The elastic is on the offside and i do her girth up from the nearside so as not to over tighten.

So i would like to know what would be the best one to buy for her... I do not however have a huge wad of money to spend.

scones and clotted cream to those that can help..

******Proud Member of The TB Injury Hotline Clique**************

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Best girth

Could you try one of the aerborn humane girths? They're good value (under 15) & design to make sure weight is evenly distributed:

http://www.rideaway.co.uk/aerborn-hu...n=purenet_feed

I like mine, my mare can be fairly sensitive (especially when in season) and never objects to this girth, never had any rubs etc either

Old nag

I'm afraid one sided elastic is the work of the devil and liable to make a sore one sided horse!

Any girth with either elastic both ends or no elastic will probably help

If possible buy the widest girth you can to distribute the weight if you think they are sore.

yes i unfortunately learnt that the hard way.

An update as of yesterday.

I have tried an old fashioned balding grith on the advice of my YO (who is also her bowen practictioner) as it was shaped and allowed free-er movement. Beautifully soft leather with no elastic. This has now produced a little rub. Back to the other suggestions now

Im a bit confused as i am getting conflicting advise re: width and type of girth. What a minefield.

Got the dowsing rods on her and she was slightly blocked again but when she checked her out was still looser than she was the first time and not as sore on her (dont know the horsey term) intercostel muscles

Just backed

how about the wintec ones that are padded all along?

my original girth was padded all along. Hmm wonder if i could get the elastic removed??